site newbie

Started by clg003, August 31, 2015, 06:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clg003

Even though this is my first post I can tell you my wife hates you all already.

I am hooked. Lets start this addiction off with a bang.

I have come across this site a few times and I end up reading more and more and I start following guys like foakes and I see his collection and now I am pretty sure there will be no end to this. Actually got out on a few garage sales to see if I could round up some old reels and I did. I will follow up with some basic question in the appropriate thread but I wanted to say whats up my brothers.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcome to the "neighborhood"...

foakes

Welcome, cig --

My wife would rather know where I am -- working on reels instead of bad habits.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Glad to have you on board.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Welcome to the darkside - feel the force my young apprentice :D

alantani

Quote from: clg003 on August 31, 2015, 06:37:53 PM

Even though this is my first post I can tell you my wife hates you all already.

welcome, and thank you for my morning chuckle!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

theswimmer

Welcome Cig!

What Fred does is not best described as a 'collection'.
Believe me , I have been there!

Welcome to the club ,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

There are sites where folks talk about their collections, or certain aspects of a special rare reel, and spend hours looking at reels on their shelves, always keeping them polished. 

Nothing wrong with any of that.

But it just reminds me too much of the Springsteen tune -- "Glory Days".

There have been many people who have offered to buy all of my inventory at various times.

And I have just told them all, Sorry, I am still using these.

And the best use I see, is to help someone with a tough part, or perhaps a little knowledge I might possess.

For me, that is fun -- and at the end of the day, if we haven't made good arrangements for the passing along of our inventories -- it will be sold for pennies on the dollar -- and there will be no true appreciation for the craft.

So I try to help a few folks when possible -- so they can learn a little more about their reel passion.

Probably a little corny -- but it is especially good to help younger folks, who may eventually pass on a little knowledge of their own to future generations.

It really isn't about the money, or the value of a reel -- for me, a part is worth little or nothing laying in a bin.  And it is priceless when helping to get a reel back on the water -- and allowing another member to learn a little more about the mechanics and possibilities of reel repair.

I do not know as much as many of the folks on Alan's site -- but we all have our niches that are useful when pulled together as a whole.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Welcome to AT! 

Don'T be afraid to jump in with both feet.  Share what you learn, and ask questions when needed.  This place is a wealth of knowledge, and a bit if an inspiration.  Just make sure to hold on to your pocketbook

BTW, well put as always, Fred.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton