101 Reel head

Started by clg003, September 01, 2015, 12:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Quote from: foakes on September 02, 2015, 05:25:36 AM
What you are doing here, Cig -- is getting some good hands on experience cleaning, restoring to a usable condition, and understanding the process.

Two things to ask yourself? -- and you must be brutally honest with yourself.  No one else needs to know the answer -- is this reel ever going to be a showpiece, restored back to original?  Or is it going to be a less than pristine looking reel -- but mechanically and operationally 100%?

If it were mine, I would likely do a really thorough cleaning job, install new CF drags greased with Cal's, flat lap the metal drag washers to glass smoothness, install a new under gear washer -- put it all back together, oiled and greased -- install line, and fish it.  The fish don't care if it is shiny or not -- and it would cost much more than may be sensible to replate it -- and may not turn out that well anyway.

You are starting down a little used path -- one that few even know exists -- reel repair and maintenance.

If you intend to get as much experience under your belt as possible -- you will need to evaluate every reel based on its merits and possibilities, your time and effort, and what form the finished project may take.

Sometimes it is quicker and easier that way -- and you won't get hung up and discouraged on one project.

Part of what you are doing is learning to manage your time, expenditures, experience gained -- against the potential finished project.

There are enough very experienced folks on Alan's site -- to give you a professional education in just a few months.

You will learn a little from each one of the veterans -- then you will develop your style and arsenal of knowledge based on your own common sense, your comfort level, and your passion.

And then others will learn from you.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

This is the best advice you will ever get, take my word for it. Fred has mentored me on how to approach a project as well and it was great advice. Fred also mentions the opportunities that are here for you to have others of his level of expertise help you, by all means take advantage of that.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

clg003

While it is my first Pflueger and my first restore of this type, my goal is to learn how to do it right. Making it fishable will be a product of that.

If this was a collectors piece... I would like to have the confidence to take it on, but right now I am a little worried about moving to the next one until I know what messed it up and what it will take to correct it.  Right now I am assuming I kept it in the green to long  or the vinegar to long. Wish I knew for sure but that's all i got now.

I have ordered new cf drags and smooth out the washers and have the teeth on the gear looking pretty clean and smooth. I also cleaned the heck out of everything else.

Now i am going to work on polishing the side plate, spool and star.

Joe's generous jeweling offer got me researching it and now I am going to have to figure that out as well. Joe I am going to PM you for some info.

Thanks Brothers.

clg003

Joe one other question for you if you don't mind.

Do you know what this piece is? It feel out when I opened her up and I have no idea where it goes. Its very brittle so I dont think its a spring of any sort.

Reel 224

Quote from: clg003 on September 03, 2015, 10:07:36 PM
Joe one other question for you if you don't mind.

Do you know what this piece is? It feel out when I opened her up and I have no idea where it goes. Its very brittle so I dont think its a spring of any sort.

That looks like the dog spring but I'm not sure, Ill have to pull my reel apart to check. Okay I found it on a schematic. It"s the cam spring, That is part of the free spool yoke system. It looks like it puts pressure on the pinion and yoke. 

I hate to sound like a arm chair QB but you should take pictures of what you are doing...a picture is worth a thousands words ;D I hope I was of some help and if you still have problems Fred (Folks) can help you with the assembly. I'm not ducking you, it's just that I'm going to be off site for a while.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

clg003

Thanks for the info...

I do take pictures, print them and label them but this piece appeared to be loose from the time I opened it up.

Bruce

Hello    Your washer is somewhar cocked , tap it with something ( screwdriver handle ) to straighten loosen it . Try holding gear and twisting and unscrewing with other hand , or pulling straight and rocking the washer slightly back and forth . You may have to worry it quite a bit.
These techniques have worked .
Buzz

Bill B

Cig....it's been my experience Simple Green is a great de-greaser, but doesnt attack metals, plating or plastics, but vinegar is acidic and will do a number on any metal or plated piece ( acid etching)...that being said an overnight soak in vinegar is probably the culprit in the loss of chrome plating.....a vinegar soak work well for brass but not too good for chrome or aluminum...also AGGRESSIVE brushing with an abrasive and tooth brush can have bad results.....also a long soak in an ultrasonic bath will destroy an anodized aluminum coating......we live and learn...sometimes the hard way....but it is all knowledge and learning is part of the fun....good luck brother.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Hi cig --

Joe is correct -- it is a dog spring for the anti reverse ratchet.

Here is how it goes in -- along with the proper orientation.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

clg003

Thanks for the great advice guys.

One down and on to my penn 180.

Still might chrome or nickel plate that face plate.

foakes

Nice work, cig --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Very nice clean up! The Pfleuger is safe enough...not much in the way of mods for it. HOWEVER, please be advised that there is a wormhole associated with pulling down the 180...you'll want to replace the drags...get a larger handle....Tiburon makes a frame for it...I suspect there are SS gears and gear sleeve....aluminum spool, etc.   8)

Nice little reel, I have several.

John

clg003

Anyone know how to determine how old reels are? 

I would think this Plueger is from the 50s

I think this Penn 180 is fairly old as well and has some lighthouse scene on side plate.

foakes

Hey cig --

Capitol is likely 50s -- although it was made for a long stretch.

On the 180 --

If it were me, I would invest in this book, by one of our members.  It is the Bible for Penn Reels.  Along with a subsequent companion book.

There is so much information in these books -- it may give you a couple of new ways to look at, restore, and collect certain Penns.

You will not be sorry --

The Chronological History of Penn Reels, by Michael Cacioppo.

Check with Mike, or Whitefish Press, or Amazon.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

kmstorm64

I was impressed that the reel had a helical cut gear. That must of been a big deal back in the 50's.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!