penn jigmaster help!

Started by fishhawk, September 02, 2015, 01:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelrepair123

randy,  with the 250 chrome spool it sounded like a meat grinder, it wasn't smooth, seemed like there was no side to side play, the plastic 500 spool was smooth and it had alot of side play , i was able to adjust the tension with the sideplate bearing

Rancanfish

I thought I would open this up again because fishhawk Pm'ed me with the same issue with a new ring. Though I'm flattered any one asks for my opinion, I just don't have the high volume experience.

Any guru's reading this please pitch in with hints on re-assembly of the side plates for these Jigmasters.

I have taken apart and reassembled these things probably 50 times doing upgrades to drags, gear sleeves, gears, chrome bridges, handles, etc. I've replaced rings, sideplates and narrowed a dozen.

However, if you look at the time I've been active here,  you will see I have way less experience than the real reel wizards. Alan,Bryan,Fred,John T.,Sal, etc.

So how about it, any more hints to help Mark?  (It seems there is an issue with another ring).

Are there specific parts to persue and/or avoid to make life easy when reassembling Take apart reels?  I put my opinion out there.....and Aiala too, and she pretty much covered it I think, but still.  I took apart two random JM's this morning, one was easy, the other a slight struggle. I don't see any obvious difference.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mizmo67

Bless you guys...you just solved something that had me incredibly frustrated with a customers 500S reel recently. I was swearing like a sailor fighting with the darned thing. Just a hair off alignment so that it wouldn't lock in.

Now I have to check our inventory and look at those rings for the part stamps to see what we actually have and make some notes online! I'll wager some of our 2-250's have 250N's on them....

I'm really surprised that we'd never run into this before last month.

QuoteI have brand new ones, (2-250n's), sitting in my stash for that reason. I hate fighting that sideplate, and won't.  The right part # is 2-500s if it was indeed a 500s.  I just looked on mine.

If it is a regular 500,  the part # is 2-250. No 'N'.  Many of mine have no # marking on them at all.
If I had an extra I'd give it to you, I understand the frustration.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Rancanfish

Brings a smile to know I helped YOU Maureen.  ;D

mizmo67

Always learning something new, lol. Otherwise..yer just dead  ;)
~Mo

mizmo67

I guess the simple reason we never noticed this was because we never had anyone try to stick a 2-250N on a 500S before.

The schematics for the 500S do say 2-500S like they should.

The 2-250N works fine on the regular 500 jigmasters...we sell a ton of those with no issues at all.

It just never registered when I was fighting with it that the wrong ring was on there. Sigh.
~Mo

Dominick

Quote from: mizmo67 on September 16, 2015, 06:21:41 PM
Always learning something new, lol. Otherwise..yer just dead  ;)
Or dead wrong... :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

fishhawk

lol...i've tried 2 different sets and still only one that works is my beat up original! Going to remedy my situation with my dremel tool! HaHa!

Rancanfish

For Maureen, another example.

I just picked up a couple Jigmasters from a member here. They are both from the black side plate era, (when ever). They both have unmarked rings. They both go together and 'take apart' like butter.

I have had a Tiburon framed 500 sitting on my work table for awhile, (since the thread was lively), because the darn thing is next to impossible to get together. It has the 2-250n ring. Just a fact being stated.

I put one of the sideplates from the 501, on the Tib one, and it did go together with a little oomph of a twist. The Tib sideplate went right on the 501 also, too. Makes no sense to me.  I cannot reassemble the Tiburon frame reel at all, using it's original side plate with out risking damage. My solution is to swap sideplates. Tada! They both work fine.  I cannot call this a fix obviously.

If I didn't have a bunch of Jigmasters to play swap meet with I would be out of luck. (Or contacting you for parts).

RUSTY OLD COLT

HAD THE SAME PROBLEM , MINE LINED UP AND TURNED BUT I STILLED NEEDED TO TURN ABOUT ANOTHER  1/16 OF AN INCHED TO LOCK THE SCREW IN  .I MADE THE NEW RINGS WORK BY OPENING THE END OF THE SLOT JUST A LITTLE WIDER WITH MY DREMEL.

Rancanfish

Just to be clear, if we describe the slot as an 'L' shape, are you widening the short leg?

RUSTY OLD COLT

Far end of the long leg

Alto Mare

When combining old rings with newer ones, you will always run into that problem. I will usually drill the tip of the slot with a 3/32 bit, by tilting the bit a little. Don't worry about drilling through the outer ring, that one is pretty thick.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishhawk

Thanx, I'm sure many people will be glad to hear this!

Rancanfish

OK, last post about this. IMHO the 2-250N ring is NEVER the right part for me.  

I did use Sal's suggestion and it did nothing in my case. The side plate goes on until about a 1/16th of an inch remains from a fully seated position. Just pushed in only, not twisting yet.

The side plate then becomes a press fit. The O.D. of the side plate ring is ever so slightly larger than the I.D. of the mounting ring.  This is the exact statement an online dealer made that I reported in an earlier post.

It will work, but it is no longer an easy 'take apart' feature. (Some may consider that a good thing).

EDIT: As I used a large towel to try to twist this together, the stress chipped a piece of the sideplate off.  I rest my case. 8)