14/0

Started by thorhammer, September 02, 2015, 01:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Hey folks,

Years ago an older gentleman I kingfished with offered me his 14/0 on a Fenwick 80 IGFA (white blank w/ brown&amber wraps like Sal's) as he wasn't up to the physicality of sharking with it any longer. I didnt have a particular need, but at $200 for both I told him I'd be happy to hang it on the wall....yes, I'll take a pallet load at that price.

He indicated it had about 1500 yds of 80lb Greenspot on it, and I've left it as-was and up on the wall. Since joining AT, and specifically reading Darron's posts, lol, I'm now convinced I need to go through it a bit...

Here is my question: I always thought the counter-balanced handle a bit wimpy for this rig, so I ordered up a T-Bar for it. From what I've read here, as well as Mike's book, I'm convinced this reel is pretty old, maybe 50's. If so, what are the chances of pulling off 1500yds and finding a three-piece spool? I had intended on spooling up with 130 BG or Ande Green Envy but really dont want to blow it up. And I also don't really want to put on $300 worth of braid backing on a reel I may or may not fish. Maybe fresh dacron bimini'ed to 500yd topshot of mono?

What say you?

thanks
John

foakes

And I also don't really want to put on $300 worth of braid backing on a reel I may or may not fish.

You can generally tell what type of spool it is just by looking at the spool after removing it from the reel -- but not always.

You can take off the line -- save it if you want to -- service the reel with new drags,  Delrin under gear washer, Cal's, etc.

Wait to spool it up with line until you know for sure you are going fishing, and what your intended target species is -- and your method of fishing.

Daron and many others on here will be able to help with line selection, without breaking the bank.

Also, if using the old Fenwick -- inspect and service all of the guides and thread wraps before fishing.

Nothing worse than losing a bunch of expensive line, and maybe a good fish to a burr or bad guide since it has been stored, and not used regularly.

Good line, replaced before it wears out -- is the best insurance for a successful trip.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Fred, thanks! The Fenwick is immaculate with Aftco Big Foot guides in impeccable condition, but is close to 7', so I wouldn't use it stand-up sharking which would be my only application of this rig.

I'm certain it will need new drags; I fully expect to find melded leather or some such in it.

John

Shark Hunter

Lets see a photo of that Bad boy John.
That Rod will be fine for stand up.
I would use a plate and Harness for sure.
Life is Good!