Aluminum frames, what is available for 114h, 113h, and 112h

Started by AlasKen, September 02, 2015, 05:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I am starting to try and pickup parts for my rebuilds.  What aluminum frames are available and where.  I have reviewed post on the topic I can find but many of them are older and I can't find them available.  I did find the Tiburon site so that is an option.  I am looking for red if I can find although color isn't critical.  Are there other options out there that are somewhat cost effective?  I realize that this whole project isn't really cost effective but willing to accept that to some degree for the enjoyment.  I am building reels to fish and not display if that matters.  Thanks for any info.  Ken

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Ken, I have red Accurate and/or Tiburon frames for the 4/0 in narrow, standard and wide widths, and for the 6/0, in standard, wide (114HLW) and extra wide (Black Marlin-Super Six) widths.  I also have other colors.  These frames are all in unused or near mint condition, so they are going to be more expensive than frames that are not so nice cosmetically.  \

Be careful if you plan to buy any used complete reels with aluminum frames, especially if you see any signs of poor maintenance.  Be sure to check to see that none of the screws have become corroded and frozen into the frame's threads.  This happens when the side plate screws, or rod clamp studs, are assembled to the frame without being thoroughly greased.  I think that there may be some kind of electrolysis that results the different types of metal are exposed together with saltwater.  The stock Penn screws break off unbelievably easily when this happens, as I have learned the hard way more than once.

AlasKen

Randy, Sent you an email.  Thanks for the post.  Kenneth

Aiala

Kennth, I've purchased both frames and plates from Randy. They are beautiful and flawless! You can't go wrong buying from him.
~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Randy and Aiala are right, Ken --

What has always worked for me -- and it is an easy-burger -- just back out the frame screws at the end of the season -- inspect -- clean them up and regrease with a salt water resistant marine grease like Penn, or I use Yamaha Marine grease.  If you are servicing your reels annually, this gets done automatically.  If you decide to just do a service every other year -- just address the screws, if nothing else, every year.

Grease the threads liberally, along with the sideplates and stand hardware.

If the threaded screw hole in the frame is blind (no through hole) -- be cautious of over greasing.  The hydraulic effect could/will/has blown out holes by cracking the frame.  Accurates and Tibs are less prone to this -- but the factory frames on Shimano, Internationals, and Okuma are more likely.  Just a caution.

Better to pay a few bucks more for a good, new, or nearly new frame.  You will never be sorry.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

AlasKen

Thanks Fred.  My plan is to service yearly but we know how that can go.  Alaska winters were designed for servicing and upgrading reels in front of the fireplace with a snifter of tequila and bowl of citrus to keep you warm.  What else is there to do for the 18 hours of dark?  I start planning my fishing trips in November as you can start reserving forest service cabins 6 months in advance.  Pouring over charts, reading fishing blogs and dreaming of the big one are almost as much fun as getting out and doing it, at least when it is 10 below.  I appreciate all the advice I am getting here.  Ken

David Hall

X3 on vintage offshore tackle, Randy is easy to work with and may have a cargo ship full of reels and parts.