114H Loose Clicker

Started by Deadweight, September 03, 2015, 01:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadweight

Is there a way to fix the loose clicker on my 114h without replacing the whole left sideplate? I've currently been holding it in the 'on' position with duct tape whilst fishing, but last trip it still fell back into 'off' and I only noticed I had a run from the rod tip bouncing. This worries me a bit because I use the reel for land based shark fishing, so I'm often sleeping next to my rod and if the clicker isn't working I run the risk of missing runs or losing the whole combo if the fish gets to the bottom of the spool without me noticing.

foakes

These can be drilled out --

And replaced with a kit that has a "C" clip...

Or, you can peen over the new click button on the clicker tongue.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SteveL

Quote from: foakes on September 03, 2015, 01:37:30 AM
These can be drilled out --

And replaced with a kit that has a "C" clip...

Or, you can peen over the new click button on the clicker tongue.

Best,

Fred

I believe he might be referring to a loose spring.   I have picked up several reels off ebay where the copper spring on the left sideplate needed to be bent slightly to keep the clicker from either sliding "on" or "off" by itself (depending on the reel)

Deadweight

Thank you for the replies. It is the click tongue and click button that are quite loose, the spring seems to be in fine condition. When pushing the clicker from 'off' to 'on' it is fairly tight, but it slips back into 'off' with barely any effort. The back edge of the tongue looks quite worn and this combined with the looseness is what I think it causing the problem.

Fred, do you happen to know where I can buy the C clip kits?

Shark Hunter

Looks like you will have to buy three separate pieces.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/35-114.aspx
The C clip. (Scott's calls it an E clip?)
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/69B-600.aspx
and the Button.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/36-114H.aspx
Attach a message and Mo will hook you right up. ;)

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

Deadweight

Thanks for the help Shark Hunter. Only problem with Scott's is that shipping charges to Australia start at $28, which is a bit hard to swallow when I'm buying less than $5 worth of gear  :-\

Shark Hunter

For such a small package, I would think it would be less.
I would at least send Scotts an email and see if they can help you out.
I've sent parts all over the world and $28 dollars for a clicker assembly seems a little ridiculous.
PM me your address and I will see what it costs me to send a padded envelope to you.
Life is Good!

foakes

You can have Scott's ship it to one of us here in the US --

Then we can ship it to you -- not sure, might be around $10-$12 bucks US?

All it would be is a small bubble envelope --

I would need to check.

Can you get the parts shipped reasonably from a Penn parts dealer in Australia?

I am sure any of us would be glad to help, if possible.

Let us know...

Best Regards,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Deadweight

Thank you Fred and Shark Hunter. Angler's Central do sell Penn parts but they are currently out of stock of the click tongues and do not seem to offer the E-clips. I'll email Scott's to see what they say and if it comes down to it I will get in touch with a member here. Thanks again everyone for your help!