Decent catch, lot of exercise.

Started by the rockfish ninja, September 04, 2015, 02:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

Ahh, well shore fishing for rockfish is a young man's game. I was reminded of it today when I met up with a young (29yrs) fishing pal to hit the coast and pull what we can. I always tell him that you don't need to do a bunch of hiking and fish from those high rocks, and that I'm almost twice his age and I'm not gonna do a bunch of commando climbing. I went to the spot and he was out on this dangerous looking rock with a scary trail too it, so I called him on the cell and said I'm going over to that easy to reach area right over there. He said, call me if you get a hit.

Well I took the safer/easier trail and on the first cast, bang!!! a good size grass rockfish. Next cast, bang again!!! After that I called him on the cell and told him to come over but he was being stubborn and didn't come over to the spot until I caught a 3rd, the biggest of the three.

By the time he came over the bite died off, got a massive hit that must have been a ling that got off, and it was time to go. I offered him one of my fish but he was too proud to take it, good guy but I think he learned a lesson today. Listen to the old guy.

Details: Emcast 10ft rod
           Avet SXJ MC *with Alan Tani installed speed knob.
           50lb Suffix 832 braid
           3 oz sinker - 4/0 mustad octopus hook - on a dropper loop
           whole jacksmelt bait

(the Dom likes details)

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: MeL B on September 04, 2015, 03:34:28 AM
nice gear!  :) ::) how do you like the emcast? i am looking for affordable surf rods (spinning and conventional) any recommendations? thanks!

More than happy, lightweight, stiff & fast, perfect for yanking in those rockfish before they duck into the reef and snag you up. I have 2 of the same rod, 10ft/extra fast tip.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Shark Hunter

Great Story and Fish Ninja! ;D
Reminds me of a quote by Winston Churchill.
"Wise men make mistakes, but Only Wise men learn from their mistakes." ;)
Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Old guys rule.  That's showing them Tony.  Another song title "Fishing for my Lunch."  It's all yours Tony.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.