8 year old sx loss of free spool

Started by sublime5991, September 07, 2015, 05:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sublime5991

no free spool no matter where the real is tilted. yea I greased the washer but I wiped it completely before putting the reel back together. yes as soon as you turn the handle in free spool the spool will spin

Bryan Young

Is the spool shaft sliding in and out of the slot in the sideplate?

Do you have freespool with the spool and shaft by itself?  How about just unscrewing the drive sideplate from the frame with the spool assembly intact to the drive sideplate?  How is free spool then?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Might need a new spool spring, probably got soft after 8 years of usage.
Loosen the pre set knob, move the lever all the way back and and loosely put it back. Move the lever up as far as it goes, without turning the handle, bring it all the way back and see if that does anything to the freespool.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MarkT

The spool spring pushes the drag plate away from the spool when you go into freespool. You indicated that the spool turns when in free spool and you turn the handle. Either the spring is weak or something is causing the drag plate to bind up on the shaft. Had you taken off the drag plate? How about the brake bearing that it rides on? It has to slide on the shaft. I've seen that bearing get corroded to the shaft and cause this issue.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!