8 year old sx loss of free spool

Started by sublime5991, September 07, 2015, 05:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sublime5991

so I took apart my sx for the first time yesterday due to a grinding issue. it was the spool bearing on the clicker side. I repaired the bearing and put the real back together and my grinding is fixed. it now has excellent free spool great! until....as soon as I install the preset knob even just one click its a loss. I believe the pressure plate is making contact with the drag on washer but I don't understand why everything came apart and went back together so smoothly. hopefully you guys can help me out. thanks.

alantani

if you pulled out the right main side plate bearing to check it or pack it with grease, make sure it is properly seated. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sublime5991

nope I did not I used a pencil to spin the bearing and it felt fine so I left that in there

sublime5991

I forgot to mention if I leave out the spring (key #48) that goes under the preset knob the reel works flawlessly.

Keta

Did you misplace the spool spring washers, #15, or have the Bellville spring washer stack (#5) misconfigured?   The schematic for the reel shows (()) but I've seen several configuration including a few with 5 washers arranged like this, (())(.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sublime5991

Quote from: Keta on September 07, 2015, 06:50:15 PM
Did you misplace the spool spring washers, #15, or have the Bellville spring washer stack (#5) misconfigured?   The schematic for the reel shows (()) but I've seen several configuration including a few with 5 washers arranged like this, (())(.
nope. the spool spring washers are in the right spot and I didn't even take the bellevilles off the shaft

SoCalAngler

Are you 100% sure the lever is fully in the "Freespool" position when you install the preset knob?

Edit: Also look at part #46 the "drive washer" if I remember correctly if that part is not fully seated you can have freespool issues.
Place the leaver onto the shaft, drop in the "drive washer" and turn it with your fingers until it drops fully into the lever.

sublime5991

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 08, 2015, 06:11:15 AM
Are you 100% sure the lever is fully in the "Freespool" position when you install the preset knob?

Edit: Also look at part #46 the "drive washer" if I remember correctly if that part is not fully seated you can have freespool issues.
Place the leaver onto the shaft, drop in the "drive washer" and turn it with your fingers until it drops fully into the lever.
yes both are correct. I also failed to mention that my reel did not have a preset washer in it #47

SoCalAngler

I just took the preset knob off my SX 5.3 and I don't have the #47 washer either and my reel is working fine. I don't think my reel came with one when I bought it around 5 years ago and I have went through it a couple of times for routine maintenance where it could of dropped out without me seeing it but I just fished it last time out, granted I only got around a 12 lb skipjack on it but it worked fine. I also just did some drag tests while checking freespool and all seems to be working as it should.

sublime5991

well ive been playing with it for a few days now. cant tell you how many times i took it apart. it funtions fine without the preset spring in it so i guess im going to just leave it out for the time being. i plan on replacing the bearings this winter ill try to get it back in then.

sundaytrucka

I would try putting 1-3 very thin washers underneath the bearing on the drag side, see if that helps.

**Not sure of the dimensions for washers, but a size that rests on the outer lip of the spool where the outer bearing race sits.

Also, you could try stretching the spring out a little bit, sometimes they compress and hold memory.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

sublime5991

Quote from: sundaytrucka on September 11, 2015, 07:48:38 PM
I would try putting 1-3 very thin washers underneath the bearing on the drag side, see if that helps.

**Not sure of the dimensions for washers, but a size that rests on the outer lip of the spool where the outer bearing race sits.

Also, you could try stretching the spring out a little bit, sometimes they compress and hold memory.

I thought about the washer idea before you mentioned it. I looked around the house and didn't have anything small enough.

if I stretched the spring I would think that would make it worse? because that would create more compression or more pressure or am I thinking about that all wrong?

sundaytrucka

Quote from: sublime5991 on September 12, 2015, 10:44:40 PM
Quote from: sundaytrucka on September 11, 2015, 07:48:38 PM

I thought about the washer idea before you mentioned it. I looked around the house and didn't have anything small enough.

if I stretched the spring I would think that would make it worse? because that would create more compression or more pressure or am I thinking about that all wrong?

Just to be clear, I am referring to the bearing in the spool, on the drag side...stretching the spring and shimmy the bearing essentially push the drag plate further away from the drag surface (if that is the cause for the free spool issue). The spring rests on the inner race of the bearing, so it has no affect on free spool, unless it were touching the bearing action itself (not likely an issue).

When in free spool, does turning the handle cause the spool to spin?

Do you have free spool when the reel is tilted in either direction and spun, and cut out on the other?
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

SoCalAngler

Silly question here but did you happen to grease the drag washer when you had the reel apart?

SoCalAngler

The reason I ask is if there was too much grease left on the drag washer or on the spool sides the drag plate could stick to the spool and decrease freespool.