Jigmaster 500L 9.60 spacing sleeve options?

Started by snowy, January 10, 2011, 04:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowy

Hi Alan - I want to reduce a small amount of play that's in my Jigmaster 500L handle and am not sure what length spacing sleeve to get from the seven options available at Scott's B&T to do this. I guess I would need the longest one to reduce the play but maybe I'm wrong. That's the 12.24mm 9.60500 sleeve but could you throw any light on this? I would imagine that the reel is fitted with the standard length sleeve at the moment.

Thanks for your help,

Keta

I'm assuming you are talking about reducing the play on the gear sleeve.  The best way I've found to do this was to put a shim washer under the gear sleeve.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

It's either the what Keta indicated or like Pro Gear 251 (which had Jigmaster 505 guts), there was rounding of the gear sleeve where the handle is secured.  I just replace my gear sleeve with a stainless steel one from Alan and it works like a charm.  Very tight fit.  No more play in my hanlde.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

snowy

Quote from: Keta on January 10, 2011, 04:57:54 PM
I'm assuming you are talking about reducing the play on the gear sleeve.  The best way I've found to do this was to put a shim washer under the gear sleeve.
Thanks Keta - but it's play in the handle that I want to reduce. Here's a link to the options for the spacing sleeve that allow you to achieve this.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/9-60.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

snowy

Quote from: BryanYoung on January 10, 2011, 05:05:28 PM
It's either the what Keta indicated or like Pro Gear 251 (which had Jigmaster 505 guts), there was rounding of the gear sleeve where the handle is secured.  I just replace my gear sleeve with a stainless steel one from Alan and it works like a charm.  Very tight fit.  No more play in my hanlde.

Thanks Bryan but I've already fitted a stainless steel gear sleeve. I've also added a 24-56 power handle but there is still a slight bit of play in the handle that I would like to eliminate. Penn do a number of different lengths in the gear spacing sleeve (see the link above) that allow you to increase or decrease the amount of play in the handle. I'm just not sure what one to get in order to reduce the play as much as possible. I think it would be the longer one but am not entirely sure.

Norcal Pescador

A spacing sleeve (key #9) adjusts the range of throw the drag star puts on the drag stack so the drag star neither bottoms out before full drag is achieved, nor is bound up against the handle when drag is released.

If you're still getting play in the handle, it could be gear lash. The s/s gear sleeves shouldn't allow any play between the handle and where they mount on the sleeve.

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Maybe we are not asking all of the questions.  If the play is a wobble (side to side), then as Keta indicated, you will need to shim the gear sleeve (under the gear sleeve). 

If there is play front and back (by holding the spool and moving handle forward and back), then it's probably gears as Norcal Pescador indicated.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i have some washer that fit (really tightly) under the gear sleeve to shim it up.  if you will pm me your address i will send them out.  as far as that collar itself, you can get a longer collar or maybe add a wave washer underneath.  i can send one of those as well.   alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

snowy

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Quote from: BryanYoung on January 10, 2011, 07:14:28 PM
Maybe we are not asking all of the questions.  If the play is a wobble (side to side), then as Keta indicated, you will need to shim the gear sleeve (under the gear sleeve).  

If there is play front and back (by holding the spool and moving handle forward and back), then it's probably gears as Norcal Pescador indicated.

Bryan the problem is if I hold the spool I can move the handle in and out along the axis of the gear shaft. It's only a slight amount of movement but it's noticeable and I would like to eradicate it.

Quote from: alantani on January 10, 2011, 08:56:11 PM
i have some washer that fit (really tightly) under the gear sleeve to shim it up.  if you will pm me your address i will send them out.  as far as that collar itself, you can get a longer collar or maybe add a wave washer underneath.  i can send one of those as well.   alan

Thanks Alan that's really kind of you but I live in the UK so I don't think it would be practical to send a couple of washers in the post. After reading the previous replies I'm beginning to think that part of the problem might be the fibre washer that sits between the bottom of the gear sleeve and the main gear. It's a fairly old Jigmaster and it still has the old red fibre washer (part 4-60) in it. I'm only guessing but it may have flattened out over time. I have a spare couple of the newer black washers so I might try swapping the old one out for one of them.

Also Alan I've now had an email back from Mo at Scott's Bait & Tackle and she suggested I try using the longer collar so I'm going to order one of them. I'm currently in the process of ordering a few parts for my old Spinfisher reels so I thought I'd include any parts I need to sort out this issue with the Jigmaster at the same time.

If I do need to add a washer under the gear sleeve as well in order to shim it up I would expect that I would be able to get a suitable one from Scott's. If so could you recommend the correct part?

Thanks again.

Bryan Young

Sounds like you need to shim the gear sleeve.  It becomes trial and error from this point forward.  You will need to try different or maybe multiple shims to reduce the gap thereby reducing teh wobble.

snowy

Quote from: BryanYoung on January 11, 2011, 04:38:41 PM
Sounds like you need to shim the gear sleeve.  It becomes trial and error from this point forward.  You will need to try different or maybe multiple shims to reduce the gap thereby reducing teh wobble.
Thanks Bryan - I'm going to start looking for some suitable washers.

alantani

it sounds like you have a little up and down movement of the stainless steel gear sleeve itself.  if you tear down the reel again, you will clearly see that movement.  i have a couple of small washers and they are a VERY tight fit, but they do work.  please pm your address to me.  you have to take the gear sleeve off again and put these washers underneath.  i will mail them to you.  it will only cost the postage of a standard letter.  don't worry about the cost.  i will cover it.  alan

snowy

Quote from: alantani on January 11, 2011, 08:21:30 PM
it sounds like you have a little up and down movement of the stainless steel gear sleeve itself.  if you tear down the reel again, you will clearly see that movement.  i have a couple of small washers and they are a VERY tight fit, but they do work.  please pm your address to me.  you have to take the gear sleeve off again and put these washers underneath.  i will mail them to you.  it will only cost the postage of a standard letter.  don't worry about the cost.  i will cover it.  alan
OK Alan I'll take you up on your kind offer - only problem is that I live in the UK. Don't worry though my buddy is currently out at his place in Florida for the next couple of weeks so you can send them there and he'll bring them back over when he flies back. I'll PM you his address. Thanks again for all your help.

alantani

for the cost of 4 little stamps i can mail a plain envelope to the uk, no problem.   either way is fine.  i'll try to get them out today.  alan

snowy

Quote from: alantani on January 13, 2011, 05:10:39 PM
for the cost of 4 little stamps i can mail a plain envelope to the uk, no problem.   either way is fine.  i'll try to get them out today.  alan

Hi Alan - thanks for that - my mate Paul brought the shim washers back from the States and I tried fitting them on the weekend. I ran into one slight problem in that the washer wouldn't quite fit over the thicker bit at the bottom of the bridge post. The difference was only minute but I had to get a very fine round metal file and slightly widen the inner diameter of the washer. I couldn't really file just one washer as the brass is so thin that it would just flex back and forth with the file but by holding the three washers that you sent together I was able to make them far more rigid and just filed the three at once. It didn't take much as they were pretty close in the first place.

I was then able to fit one shim washer which cleared up most of the handle play when I reassembled the reel. There's still a little bit of movement but much less than previously and I could easily live with it however I'm wondering if I should fit a second washer and eradicate it completely. My only concern is that every time you shim the gear sleeve up you loose a little bit more surface area contact between the anti-reverse dog and the gear sleeve teeth.

Do you think it would be OK to fit a second washer? From Bryan's earlier post where he mentions multiple shims I'm assuming it would be.

Thanks again.