It's the (semi) OFFICIAL 2015 EL NINO THREAD

Started by the rockfish ninja, September 10, 2015, 08:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

I got this idea while searching the web for notable El Niño fishing catches of 2015. It made me think of our fishing family all over the world that are linked through Alan's excellent website. With all the members up and down the Pacific Coast we should be able to create a comprehensive log of all the notable catches that this weather pattern produces.

I'm starting this thread and encourage all members who fish the Pacific Coast and are affected by the 2015 El Niño, to post any interesting, significant, or out of the ordinary catches that you've had.I will start it off with my only true El Niño catch of this year, a half bucket of silvery fresh Pacific Pompano.  Small, tasty, uber-fresh, and a rare one here in Northern California.

So please share anything the El Niño has pushed up your way and *forgive me fishing family in other parts of the world for making this a local thread, at least you may see some fish that you've never caught.

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Dominick

Tony does this fish count?  You identified it as a Fringehead.  Since I never heard of the fish I expect it might be in the SF Bay because of El Nino.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Dominick on September 10, 2015, 09:12:46 PM
Tony does this fish count?  You identified it as a Fringehead.  Since I never heard of the fish I expect it might be in the SF Bay because of El Nino.  Dominick

Sorry, common to SF, this is the northernmost part of their range though.

BMITCH

Tony, man if you didn't identify them as pompano I would have sworn they are what we call butter fish up here in the NE. Used as a primary tuna chunk bait. Man they look the same....are they?? Anyone??

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Aiala

This lucky lady nailed a nice Hoo aboard ROYAL STAR... on a 3-day trip!  :o 

I so can't wait for my 5-day...  :D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

the rockfish ninja

Yes Bmitch, I think they are related. When I was living back east I saw them used as live bait for stripers, blues & tuna. These ones don't get up this far north unless the El Nino does it's thing but I think the Atlantic version are more cold tolerant and a tad smaller. Never ate them when I was there but if that are sold in the asian markets for consumption they might be cousins. (...and yes, Butterfish are in the Pompano family)

Aiaia, Any details on the date and location of that Wahoo? Ono's don't get up to SF even in past El Ninos, that would be something special if they got up here.

Aiala

Rockfish, it was caught 9/9 on the first afternoon of a 3-day (along with marlin and short-billed spearfish), so it couldn't have been very far south of SD.

How long before the local boats start catching triggerfish and pargo?? LOL   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

El Nino is when they (not me!) catch Wahoo in California waters! I guess that make it official.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Aiala on September 11, 2015, 06:30:00 PM
Rockfish, it was caught 9/9 on the first afternoon of a 3-day (along with marlin and short-billed spearfish), so it couldn't have been very far south of SD.

How long before the local boats start catching triggerfish and pargo?? LOL   :D

~A~

Triggers are in So Cal waters and just not during El Nino. Most people up here don't know how to target them or where to look but they are here year around. Granted not as plentiful as down south but when over rocky structure and your bait keeps getting stolen or your plastics are getting chewed off without hooking a fish it just may be triggerfish giving you the headaches.

MarkT

My son has caught a couple of Triggers out of Dana Point in years that weren't El Niño. I think they came up during the last El Niño and became home guards.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Sorry I should of added I was catching BFT in February in between Catalina but closer to San Clemente. That's when I new it was going to be a banner year.

Here was the fish count for the boat I was on. 2/9/15, 25 Bluefin Tuna, 12 Pacific Bonito, 13 California Yellowtail. I ended the day with 2 BFT and 2 YT....not bad for Feb.