Megalodon Filet Knife

Started by David Hall, September 11, 2015, 07:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islandgypsy

Beautiful work! Can appreciate the attention to detail and patience required to create that beauty.

The U.S Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Forensic Labratory is located in Ashland,Oregon. You could give them a call and get the scoop on Walrus ivory straight from the folks that enforce the laws pertaining to ivory possession. There are a lot of gray areas...don't ask me how I know this.

David Hall

Quote from: Steve-O on September 13, 2015, 04:44:21 AM
Quote from: David Hall on September 11, 2015, 11:37:33 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on September 11, 2015, 10:42:32 PM
Very nice job Dave. I like your line about aged wine, that how we usually relate it our wives, unfortunately for some, at times that wine turns into vinegar ;) ;D.

You might be the one to ask a question I have had for awhile,
I have been toying with the idea of using gemstone for a knife handle.  
I chose to work with this combo of Acrylic, brass and horn on this particular knife for a couple reasons.
One it should be pretty weather and water resistant, two it gave me the chance to work materials other than wood, but I'd really like to try stone, I know it's a great deal harder to work than anything short of stainless steel, so I'm wondering if there is any fancy grained stone you might know of that can be worked by hand that might make a colourful unique knife handle?

Very nice craftsmanship on your jumbo fillet blade/ sword.

Here is a website with fancy stones.
http://www.stoneartsofalaska.com/sculpture.htm

Gary is great to work with and I have many pounds of his inventory.

He packs up and leaves Prince of Wales island AK in the fall and heads back to Bellingham, IIRC.

The link acted buggy with me a time or two. If so, just google stone arts of Alaska with Gary McWilliams, proprietor.

The stingray coral makes very nice knife scales as does the honeycomb fossil coral.

Steve

Thanks for the link.  Interesting I spent 10 yrs in Bellingham.