Newell 229-F Now what?

Started by swbouton, September 15, 2015, 12:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swbouton

I have inherited a Newell 229-F reel from a friend.  I am not familiar with bait casting reels, but I've been fishing with spinning reels for more than 60 years.

I find the drag too light on the Newell.  The star wheel doesn't do much although the reel seems to operate perfectly otherwise.

I am looking for information about this reel, especially how to make the drag tighter.  Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Dominick

Welcome SW.  I don't know the first thing about a Newell.  As a matter of fact I never even saw one.  There are several Newell fans that will jump in and give you some advice.  Good luck.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

229 is a great caster. If Dwight (Newell Nut) doesn't chime in, pm him. It's quite possible your reel is twenty plus years old and simply needs service and a new drag stack to perform another 20.

John

bluefish69

Does the reel have a letter before the Number? Newell's are very easy to service. If you want a small reel that will stop a truck get Bryan Young's 5+1 drag stack. The normal 3 Stack Carbon Fiber [part # 6-309] is also good but you will need a Thrust Washer. For this contact Dawn at Smooth Drag & she will fix you right up.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

Quote from: swbouton on September 15, 2015, 12:51:22 AM
I have inherited a Newell 229-F reel from a friend.  I am not familiar with bait casting reels, but I've been fishing with spinning reels for more than 60 years.

I find the drag too light on the Newell.  The star wheel doesn't do much although the reel seems to operate perfectly otherwise.

I am looking for information about this reel, especially how to make the drag tighter.  Any recommendations?

Thank you.

I recently saw a guy on the party boat with a 229-5 that he had inherited from his father. That day he caught a very large amberjack with the reel.

Your reel has the old factory drags which get a little sticky over time and are not smooth. If you want to box it up and send it to me I can have it running like new with a very strong drag system which will get over 20 lb of drag. These are powerful little reels and have the same gears and the big 400 series Newells. They also cast extremely well.

PM me if you want it tuned up correctly.
Dwight

SoCalAngler

Quote from: swbouton on September 15, 2015, 12:51:22 AM

Thank you.

IMO get yourself some HT-100 drag washers install them and call it a day....well after you do a full service to the reel since you will be in it.

No need to go overboard with upgrades as the reel will fish up to 40 lb test after you upgrade the drags. I'm getting somewhere around 15 lbs of drag on my 220 by only changing the drag washers. The 200's, 300's and 400's all use the same gears and drags. Now if you want to start to change handle's and do other stuff go right ahead as thats cool but for me those reels are best fished at 40 lb test max and I like 30 lb or below best.

bluefish69

NN

Looks like he didn't take you up on your offer. Maybe he will send it to N.Y. where I am for a tune up. Like you I have Drag Washers in stock.

Mike

funhog

I have a P229F that I installed Bryans 5-stack drag system on and have been catching 20 to 43 pound yellowfin and bluefin on , all summer long w/ 45-pound J.Brown Spectra I got from Lee( Keta) on this site. I fish it with 8 - 12 pounds of drag and its smooth as silk. after at least 15-20 fish. I have one more San Diego trip this weekend and 229 will be going with me.. Its a great reel!... and tosses  anchovies & small dines with the best of them!

Newell Nut

Quote from: bluefish69 on September 21, 2015, 04:23:54 PM
NN

Looks like he didn't take you up on your offer. Maybe he will send it to N.Y. where I am for a tune up. Like you I have Drag Washers in stock.

Mike

Nope, Some like it easy and some like it difficult. I tried.

bluefish69

I just bought another 229. So I will play with mine.

Mike