Anyone know what this is?

Started by sdlehr, December 17, 2015, 04:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

I found this photo on my computer; I had downloaded it in 2012, but I don't remember where I got it. I'm NOT one of the guys in the photo. But it's an amazing "fish". Anyone know what this creature is?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Tightlines667

It is a Sea Monster (according to the history channel, & various online sources).

But seriously...
What Aiala said..
an Oarfish

we have caught them incidentally in the Hawaii longline fishery, though they are much more common in slightly cooler waters.  They are a deep water species that like many if it's brethren (King-of-the-Salmon, Crestfish, Tapper tail & Scalloped Ribbonfishes, etc...) have the ability to spray ink (like a squid) to escape danger.  Believe it or not they are actually quite numerous and common, tbough we humans rarely encounter them.  Also, they have a delicate white meat, and are quite tasty.  ThE Oarfish grow to even much larger lengths then this fine specimen.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 17, 2015, 04:53:53 AM
they have a delicate white meat, and are quite tasty.
Pretty cool, but the Wikipedia link Aiala posted says they aren't really good eating because of the gelatinous nature of their flesh. I don't currently care, I don't have one that I don't know what to do with.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector