Casting distance improvement?

Started by Rancanfish, September 15, 2015, 06:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

This is just a question for the spinning reel users.  I started using my new / old reels that I had stored forever, basically unused. (1997). I have (4) Stradics and a Sustain.

Anyway,  I was chasing scools of striper around with a 3/8 ounce hair raiser type bucktail jig and 6lb test Maxima green.  Try as I might I could not get a lot of distance, so was constantly in stealth mode with my boat, sometimes shutting down completely and waiting for the school to turn back my way.  I was very happy with the number of fish I caught, but not so happy with the distance.  I understand the lack of weight being thrown is an issue but seem to remember throwing tiny baits a bit farther than these go.

Any way on a spinning reel to gain another 20 feet with some kind of tweaking?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

steelfish

sustain and stradics are great for casting lures on the distance

6# line is really light and will help a lot
3/8 oz lure its really light but the light line you are using is good for the lure weight

but, what about the rod, whats the line rating and lure rating?

in order to cast this kind of light lure you have to use a rod with line rating line enough to "charge" the rod, I mean if you bounce the lure on the rod with 1-2ft of line ouf of the rod the rod get bend a bit or nothing?
if you dont feel anyking of bending on the rod with this light lure than basically you are trowing your lure with your own force not the catapult action of the rod.

I think that in order to cast this lure you need to use almost a freshwater bass rod or a light inshore rod to achieve the best distances
The Baja Guy

LTM

Hi Randy,

A renewed interest in fishing with spinners is fun for me too! Anywho, a number of things come to mind. Like Steelfish stated that the rod is "very" important, more so with ultralight gear. When you said 6# line you had my attention for this has been for awhile my most frequently used line weights. I currently have two 6# rods; my favorite being 8'-2" hybrid (experimental/prototype). Primary build application is SoCal Corbina/surf perch fishing where a 3# Perch is "huge". Aside from its original application its also my "go-to" Marina rock-hopping rod for small to medium sand and spotted bay bass (just tooo much fun). OK, now you know what I use it for the action of the rod is "very" noodle-like even for a hybrid. It has no printed rating on it however 4-6# max is just perfect for this rod. The target species of fish are close to shore so I dont have to do a long cast, even though Ive cast across the inlet to the Long Beach marina/harbor in Cali to get to a secluded spot where fish were holding.  My other rod is a factory Seeker 130 6.5' S,  4-10# glass construction 1 piece (both are one piece rods). This is a slightly heavier rod (6-8#). This is much easier to cast into tight places like under docks/bridges etc. This also has a very noodle-like action and bends into/thru the handle. I think this "noodle-like" action is essential for ultra-light line fishing.

Next point is choice of reels. For surf fishing where the potential for sand intrusion inside the reel from wave splashing/dunking I have some disposable reels. However from judicious maintenance over the decades the reels are still in excellent shape. All of the disposable surf reels are over 20/30 yrs old and are graphite construction with a maximum of 2 bearings. There are "design" differences in these reels depending on application. Two (of three) reels have "long cast" design spools; which have longer spool length and shallow depth for line storage. This longer spool with a shallow spool lip allows for longer casts (less line friction/lip to overcome). My "boat-rod" spinners have a deep lip and shorter spool length. You can minimize the amount of spool lip friction in a "boat" style reel by using a reel size that has enough capacity so that when you cast the line doesnt have to travel far into the spool minimizing the amount of lip to overcome.

So, if I know Im going to do some long casts then I will have a long cast reel for light line and for short casts my "boat rod" spinners. Which is what I usually have with me this combo of rods/reels. Randy I didnt bother to mention reel maintenance for I know this to be a moot point with you!

Hope this helps,

Leo

PS Forgot to mention that the trick to a good long cast with this noodle action rod is a very fluid/smooth cast to minimize the amount of tip "rebounding" at the final position of your cast!!!

Jeri

Hi Randy,

I would have to agree with all the guys above – that the rod is going to be the critical component – as it truly is the rod that makes the cast. While not very experienced in designing or building rods for such light weight lures, getting the right rod is going to be critical for your needs.

On tip though, even off a boat, perhaps don't be shy of getting a longer than standard rod, as that is always a good solution to gaining distance. I have used rods 2' longer than the 'accepted standard' 7' when spinning for Tigerfish on the Zambezi – and can always get to the further spots first, before the boat gets near the fish.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rancanfish

;D ;D  Naw, freshly spooled.  Which by the way was part of my problem.  I ended up with a couple of birdnested rod/reels while the bite was on.  The line wanted to coil bad, which it did into a mess.

Capt Ahab

Few things that will get you distance fast

1st  - switch to braided line  (that is 2nd and third as well)   - Use a leader either tied with a small ball bearing swivel or direct with an FG or Alberto knot (or whatever knot you like really - but use a leader)

2nd.  The rod is 80% key to casting  - get a light rod and, like what was said above, a longer rod helps.  Take your reel to the tackle store and ask to test cast it with it.  Guide layouts are important  - see what your reel likes and you like.  You are trying to avoid too much line slap if at all possible.

Let us know how you do

Keta

Spool the reels with 30# Spectra, no memory and much lighter than mono.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

Braided line and the right rod is the key. I use 15lb Slick 8 braid and a 20lb Fluorocarbon leader for fish 3 to 8 lbs. You can go bigger for large fish.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Yogi_fish808

For my light tackle spinners I've found Berkley Nanofil casts amazing, considerably farther than any other braid/superline I've used. 14lb nanofil (which really breaks at over 20lb) is the same dia. of 6lb mono. and should be perfect for your reels. Happy fishing!

otownjoe

One thing that could be the problem is how the line is laying on the spool. The shimano spinning reels that I have bought came with small shim washers. These can be placed under the spool as needed.

Rancanfish

Thanks for the great responses.  I am going to look for a bit longer rod, and go to braid. If I pick up 20 yds. distance I'm going to be stoked.

My mentor Sal DiMercurio taught me that you can catch anything on light line if you let the drag and and the right pole do the work. But we always trolled for striper. We caught big stripers and never over stressed one so much it wouldn't survive. If you know when to pull hard and when to let it run you can get them to the boat fairly quickly.

All that said, I really appreciate all the advice, you can tell how many experienced anglers we have here, in addition to reel pros.

OT Joe, I actually found a packet of the washers in one of the reel boxes so I'm set if I have a line lay problem crop up.

Three se7ens

The washers for line stacking on the top or bottom of the spool.  If the line is laying evenly, they wont do much for your casting distance.  But things that will increase your distance are going to a thinner/lighter line (braid excels in this area), and a rod matched to the lure weights you will be casting.