saved a first gen Silver Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, September 16, 2015, 05:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Tightlines667

That is a beautiful reel Mike!

I just bought a Silver Beach with the early pear-shaped oiler handle from a fellow ORCA member.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/111770220293

It is in pretty rough shape though, and looks as though it has seen some use.  I can only hope it will clean up half as nice as Mike's first find.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI just bought a Silver Beach with the early pear-shaped oiler handle from a fellow ORCA member.

Looking at the reel you bought, it too looks like an original. I am sure it will clean up well. These reels are amazing. They are 75 year old reels that have been heavily used, yet they clean up and return to almost perfect operating reels with very minor work. I wonder how many Chinese and Japanese reels will stand the test of time like the old Penn reels have?

Tightlines667

Here are some before and after photos of the 2 first generation Silver Beach reels I recently restored.

The one on the left has a waffle clicker button, and interestingly enough a slotted take-apart/headplate retainer screw that threads into the frame (see second photo below).  The one on the right has the Hershey kiss clicker button, and the more typical spring-loaded retainer screw.  I suppose the former did not likely come from the factory, or maybe it did and was simply an early version before they setched on the more common, non-slotted, spring-loaded, stamped variety.  It may have had a spring at one time as well?

This first reel was frozen solid.  It would not crank, take-apart, the star was frozen, and the clicker nonfunctional.  It is now looking much better and is mostly functional.  It still needs an eccentric spring, new set of leather drag washers, and the clicker pawl is heavily worn.  Otherwise it is extremely smooth, and the freespool is even respectable.

I am still working on the second reel.
Hope springs eternal

Alto Mare

Very nice John, be gentle with those beauties. I have never seen a slotted thumb screw, I wonder if it was done by someone :-\.
If not, you might have something really unique.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Love those old handles on those old stamped reels. I would venture to say that "take apart" screw is someone's creation to prevent it from coming loose or something...  They could now put a screwdriver to it.
Maybe make one reel out of the two of them to fit your collection... then save the other for parts?
Good stuff,
Dom

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 25, 2015, 11:37:18 AM
Very nice John, be gentle with those beauties. I have never seen a slotted thumb screw, I wonder if it was done by someone :-\.
If not, you might have something really unique.

Sal

I am trying my best to be gentle, but I guess if one removes the corrosion on plated reels, the base metal is usually exposed.  I plan to restrict my restorations to Senators, prewar take-a parts (Coronado, Silver Beach, Squidder, Surfmasters), and any other reel that appears like it was new or can be brought back to mint condition.  I may also clean up a few early German silver surf reels, just because they do clean up nice.  All other collectable will only get a light service with minimal cleaning.

Quote from: broadway on October 25, 2015, 03:11:23 PM
Love those old handles on those old stamped reels. I would venture to say that "take apart" screw is someone's creation to prevent it from coming loose or something...  They could now put a screwdriver to it.
Maybe make one reel out of the two of them to fit your collection... then save the other for parts?
Good stuff,
Dom

The screw sure looks like a stock, period-correct Penn Part, but I'm not sure on this one.  

Yea, I was thinking of mixing and matching parts on these reels to get one nicer one for my collection.  I may still do so later, but for now I think I will keep 'em both.  The headplate on both are chipped, and unfortunately the one with the bigger chip actually is in better condition (other then this).  Tailplate, posts, and handle retainer are better on the older reel, stand, and star are better on the later..etc.. maybe I will mix and match them up later.

Just finished up with the waffle clicker Silver Beach.  I am happy with the results.

Hope springs eternal

broadway

Looking good John! She shined up nicely.  Can you take a close up of the take apart screw, so maybe someone can identify it?
Love those handles!
Thanks for showing,
Dom

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

broadway

Thanks for posting that photo John... it look like a regular take apart from that angle. How bout a full frontal so maybe someone can tell if the slit is custom or factory.
Dom

Tightlines667

Here ya go...
Hope springs eternal

broadway

You don't mess around, that was quick!
If it's not factory they sure did a good job... maybe Sal did it with his dremel? ;D
Any ideas from the Penn historians on this site... anyone seen that before?
Pretty cool either way, those suckers get slippery when wet so it made sense to someone.
Thanks,
Dom

Tightlines667

While I was at it, I cleaned up a prewar Surfmaster 200 that was in pretty darn rough shape as well.  

The handle knob is missing the oiler..hmm..may have to carefully try to press one in.

Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

I have been a bit busy and this post got by me. Thanks to Superhook aka Ray from OZ, I have now been informed.

First, I want to bring another Silver Beach into the mix here, This may answer some questions that have been raised about the model.

The is the 1938 Silver Beach--Model 98 and because of this reel, Penn did not put model numbers in the early Silver Beach logos. No model number meant you could use one side plate for two models.

Also, the slotted screw was a Penn part. This side plate take apart screw is not common; but, not rare. It should be held in place with a small round spring clip the same way the other screws are. If your screw comes out of the plate when it is loosened, then the wire retaining ring is missing.

Most of the parts of the Model 98 match the Model 97 aka Model 99 in later years.

Except on many Model 98 Silver Beach versions you will find a knurled top rear bar which was meant to install a leather thumb stall. Don't forget, this reel can be categorized a knuckle buster.

I am a bit pressed for time as we speak, so I will get back to this thread later tonight.

broadway

Thanks for bringing some light to that slotted take apart screw...neat find!
I would have assumed custom job because I've never noticed it before.
Good stuff,
Dom