saved a first gen Silver Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, September 16, 2015, 05:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

So, I was slowly walking through the Bellmore, New York Flea Market last week and I saw an old Penn reel sitting on the tail gate of a seller's pick up. I go over to it and look it over. It looks like it might clean up. It was filthy and filled with a mix of mono and wire line. It must have weighed five pounds. Anyways, I ask the seller what he wants for this old junker. He has not had the chance to put it on his table, so he tells me $20.00. I think he felt he was asking for a high price and expected a bit of haggling; but, I just said, You got it and gave him a $20 bill. What I bought was not a super rare reel; but a complete, operating 1938 Penn First gen Silver Beach, Model 97 worth $20 buck any day of the week.

I go home and strip the reel down. Every piece on this old Model 97 was original. These first models are interesting because so many of their parts are vintage materials as well as vintage parts. Internal parts may be German Silver or chrome plated brass. Their level of quality is not done in later reels.

Main and pinion gear on this first gen Silver Beach are steel, not stainless steel; but tool steel and they are strong. The gears in this reel are from 1938 and there is not a hint of corrosion. The drags are in good shape and are made from leather. Normally I would upgrade them; but, this reel will be a shelfie, so I want the drags to be original for correctness sake. If the next owner want to fish the reel, he can change them.
                 The jack, eccentric cam and bridge plate are either chrome plated brass or German Silver. I am not sure which.

The bottom of the stand is a big vintage give away. Very few Penn models use a stand that is ID stamped like the old Model 97 and Model 98.

The head plate is set up for right hand use only. When a Left Hand model was special ordered, a Penn Tech had to modify the side plate for left hand use.

Only the yoke is plain brass in these early models.

Fully assembled, the color is Silver, not Gold. Only a hint of brass color is showing through the bridge opening.

The star wheel edges are sharper on the old models and the star wheel is undercut to allow it to fit over the plate bushing, giving a better protection against foreign objects or water from entering the reel.

A testament to the old Penn design is how well it survived to modern days. Even a new, modern tool still fits the old Penn special scalloped handle screw.

Picture tail plate plus a waffle cut clicker screams late 1930's.

Fully assembled, 75 years old and it still operates smooth as silk.

Look for the Silver Beaches without any number in the logos. They are the first gen models.

Now as I look at my pile of junk, I have to figure out what my next project will be ??? ??? ???

Newell Nut

Nice save and thanks for showing us how they used to be built.

Tightlines667

I bet that SS eccentric would make for a nice upgrade in a few of the modern models.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broadway

Nice find/save Mike! I'm glad you addressed the I.D. stamping because I've always wondered which models came with this stamping. I've got a few and was curious if this was indicative of the year the reel was made or something they did for certain reels over the years.  I've never seen the stamping on any Post-War reels.
Thanks for sharing,
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteI bet that SS eccentric would make for a nice upgrade in a few of the modern models.

Hello John,

I do not believe the eccentric is Stainless Steel. I suspect chrome plated brass or German Silver. According to the 1938 catalog, the early reels had German Silver frames. I have seen many early Penn German Silver spools also.

This reel has been very used and used hard. I think it was cared for every year; but, I know it was not babied. It was a mess when I got it. After I took it apart, I was sorry I did not take a BEFORE picture. I did not expect to find the internals as original as they were. I guess all the dirt and grease protected it.

Penn Chronology

Hello Dom,

QuoteNice find/save Mike! I'm glad you addressed the I.D. stamping because I've always wondered which models came with this stamping. I've got a few and was curious if this was indicative of the year the reel was made or something they did for certain reels over the years.  I've never seen the stamping on any Post-War reels.

The ID stamping can be a point of confusion for many collectors. The Silver Beach 98 and 97 was made from 1938 to 1942 and they both had the logo I posted. Neither the logo or the Model 98 returned after the war. When the Silver Beach model returned, it returned as the Model 99 aka pre-war Model 97. Penn brought the Model 99 back in 1949. The years of 1946, 47 and 48 saw no production at all for the Silver Beach model.

Another interesting point about the 1938 model. It is the only Silver Beach model with the old style pear shaped handle knob. In 1939, the handle knob became a Torpedo handle knob. This makes the 1938 model kind of special in another way.

Penn Chronology

QuoteNice save and thanks for showing us how they used to be built.

Glad you liked the post.

broadway

Mike,
   I also have a silver beach with the ID stamping, however, it has the torpedo knob.  Do you know which models came with the stamping?... I have a 249, 165, and the silver beach with the bottom stamping.
Thanks again,
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteI also have a silver beach with the ID stamping, however, it has the torpedo knob.  Do you know which models came with the stamping?... I have a 249, 165, and the silver beach with the bottom stamping.
Thanks again,

As far as I know, only the Silver Beach came with the double stamping. The 249 and 49 should read ""200 Yds No 15"", the 165 and 170 should read "150 Yds No 9""

Penn Chronology

Here is one that has been in my collection for many years. I don't think I have seen too many like this.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

You are correct, Mike... My silver beach is the only one with the double stamping.
Your silver beach is in some impeccably mint condition, and I agree with sal... That handle is darn sexy!
I noticed the box says 1936... Would that be correct for the year of that silver beach? ...can't be far off, but I didn't think the torpedo handles were out yet.
Thanks for the drool-worthy photo,
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteI noticed the box says 1936... Would that be correct for the year of that silver beach? ...can't be far off, but I didn't think the torpedo handles were out yet.

The person that wrote that info on the front of the box label was not me or the previous owner. I knew the previous owner, he became ill and sold me the reel. He is no longer with us. So, to answer your question, the info is more than likely incorrect. The first year of the Silver Beach is 1938.

This box and reel combination, in this condition is rare. Even though the information scribed onto the box label is wrong, I would never try to remove it for fear of damaging the label. My estimation of the age of this particular reel is 1941 or 42. No real way of pinning down a exact year because the price on the box was the price of this model from 1938 to 1942. I do not believe the handle knob color indicates a 1939 torpedo. I feel 1939 torpedo handles were all a dark colored knobs and the 1938 models did not use a Torpedo handle at all. So, this is not a 1930's reel; but, it is very close. This handle knob color probably dates the reel closer to the beginning of the war.

Penn Chronology

QuoteBeautiful reel...love that handle

Me Too! The color on this handle is not usually seen on the early handle blades with the tall counterweight. Maybe it is so dramatic because the reel is NOS; but, I believe it is an odd handle combination.

broadway

Good point about the year being incorrect unless you got the only silver beach made in '36😉
My silver beach has a very dark green handle, however, it's not even close to the condition of yours. Wow, 1940's NOS penn reels are tough to come by now a days and even tougher with the box. The seller of that boxed silver beach is smiling now knowing that babies in good hands.
Thanks for the explanation,
Dom