Let's Make Ikameshi!

Started by LLCC, September 18, 2015, 01:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLCC

How to catch squid and make Ikameshi? Try this chap's formula.

I heard that it's simple and not bad but if only he is not such a longwinded rambler.

https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/2015/09/18/eats-lets-make-ikameshi/

Lawrence Lee

Steve-O

He may be longwinded, but his presentation and photography are excellent! ;D

Looking forward to digesting your blog entry with gusto.

thanks again for sharing.

Steve

who wants to cook like Lawrence cooks. ;)

Bryan Young

Hahaha, Lawrence, are you not the rambler? 

I find your piece very entertaining and informative...It just makes me want to go out squid fishing for some fresh squid sashimi and ikameshi.  Looks so delicious.  Thank you.  I will have to try to find fresh squid to make this and other dishes.  Nothing like fresh squid.  Yum.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Steve-O

Posted on your blog, LL.

Going to be collecting pounds of suiseki during my off-fishing hours next week to ship home. The streams are full or very nice banded rhyolite, greenstone, black and gray banded argillite among others.

Big Tim

Ron Jones

squid=bait!

Hope you enjoy it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

LLCC

Quote from: Steve-O on September 18, 2015, 01:49:45 PM
He may be longwinded, but his presentation and photography are excellent! ;D

Looking forward to digesting your blog entry with gusto.

thanks again for sharing.

Steve

who wants to cook like Lawrence cooks. ;)

;)
Lawrence Lee

LLCC

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 18, 2015, 02:05:16 PM
Hahaha, Lawrence, are you not the rambler? 

I find your piece very entertaining and informative...It just makes me want to go out squid fishing for some fresh squid sashimi and ikameshi.  Looks so delicious.  Thank you.  I will have to try to find fresh squid to make this and other dishes.  Nothing like fresh squid.  Yum.

Yup I'm the rambler. I'm lucky they don't charge by the words these days. Hahaha ;D Thanks for the encouraging words.

The technique for using this Candat Mayat - a Malay term that means Corpse (mayat) Jig (candat) is very different from the Shrimp shaped Egi. While you will pitch vigorously with the egi, the candat mayat require you to gently yo-yo the whole multi-jig rig, inches above the bottom. You literally jig the jigs as though you are jigging a teabag at a restaurant that doesn't allow cellphones - Gently. And not more than 12 inches a pitch.

After a series of pitches, if you feel no extra weight on the line, lift the rod high overhead, let it drop back to the seabed under tension, then reel in a few turns and repeat. There's no point jigging at midwater as the squids tend to hug the bottom where there's structure. Sometimes, the only way to get a bite is to raise the jigs till the lowest point (the sinker) is a few inches above the seabed, drop the rod in the holder and watch for the tip to bend as the boat drifts around.

Arrow squids do not fight at all, unlike the Big Fin Reef Squid. You'd only feel a dead weight at the end as you crank it right in. That's why you want to lift the rod high overhead before you let it all down again. Lifting it up high in a single stroke, help you better discern if there is a squid attached to the jig or not.

While you can sometimes catch arrow squids on egi and vice versa, the Arrow Squids seem to prefer Candat Mayat while Big Fin Reef Squids prefer Egi.

If you were to get some large arrow squids alive, take the biggest one and drop it back in  with a 5/0 Mutu. Your chances of attracting a big Cobia is increased with big live arrow squids.

If you wanna cook ikameshi, you only need to buy squids that have their skin intact at the market. If the chromatophores on the skin still react to touch, you can be sure the squid is very fresh. But as long as the skin is intact and not sloughing off, the squid is good enough to cook ikameshi.

Best,

LL
Lawrence Lee

LLCC

Quote from: Steve-O on September 18, 2015, 07:12:33 PM
Posted on your blog, LL.

Going to be collecting pounds of suiseki during my off-fishing hours next week to ship home. The streams are full or very nice banded rhyolite, greenstone, black and gray banded argillite among others.

Thanks for commenting on my blog Steve!  :)

And best of luck with your stone collection. I also pray you have an understanding Missus when you bring em home and age them.  ;) ;)

Blessings,

LL
Lawrence Lee

LLCC

Quote from: Big Tim on September 19, 2015, 12:13:25 AM
I would try this an am quite sure it's good... Might try this style:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ikameshi+video&FORM=VIRE3#view=detail&mid=D9CBB7BB058F2161B454D9CBB7BB058F2161B454

Do give it a try. Ikameshi can be eaten cold, and it will be as delicious as when it's hot.

So it can be brought out to the boat in a bento box. Ice cold beer, rod in hand and chewing on an Ikameshi or Oshizushi lunch can be a rather enjoyable experience.

Best,

LL
Lawrence Lee

LLCC

Quote from: noyb72 on September 19, 2015, 02:40:39 AM
squid=bait!

Hope you enjoy it.
Ron

You are absolutely right! Big live squids tend to get hit by big Cobia and Rays over at my side of the pond.

;D ;D ;D

LL
Lawrence Lee