Phenix Black Diamond 700H for Avet SX Raptor???

Started by angle-iron, September 19, 2015, 12:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angle-iron

Let me preface this by saying that I grew up in So Cal fishing Sabre and Calstars and ONLY fish Calstar Graphighters now and can't imagine using anyother rod.

I just purchased the Phenix rod to match up to the Avet because I am looking for a small lightweight combo that I can fish 30-40# with. The rod says 20-60# but I doubt I can really fish 60! I loaded the reel with 50# Seaguar Hollow and 40# Izor hoping they can handle it. I hope it works but I have a feeling I'm going to have to drop this combo down to a 30# setup.

Anyone have any experience with this combo?

Thanks in advance!

MarkT

I use the 760h for 40# and like it a lot. Best fish on it so far was a 60# BFT. I'm currently using it with a fth25nld2. BFT was with a Saltiga 40ld2. I have the 700xh that I use for 50#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

angle-iron

What is the line rating on the 760? I imagine it's not much heavier. Thanks!

MarkT

The psw760h is rated 25-60. I use psw809h's for 30#, I have 2 of them.

I use my SX Raptor on either an 809h or an OC Rods Kaiuli 70mh rated 20-40. It was my go to rig on last years 10 day and probably will be on this years Phenix trip on the Excel that leaves next Sunday, the 27th. I'll have an Accurate dx400-2 for 30# on an 809h too. I'll have a Lexa 400 on the other 809h.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

angle-iron

I haven't even pulled on a fish yet and I love this little Phenix rod. I just hope it has the backbone.

I've fished on a lot of boats but I'm jealous. I've always wanted to fish on the Excel. We chartered the MAXIMUS for a 2.5 day leaving next week.

Good luck to us all!