"Plan C"...or was it plan "D"

Started by Keta, September 20, 2015, 04:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Drove north to make a 50 mile run to fish albacore but the weather was not nice so we changed plans a few times.   We ended up doing something that was on my list for a long time, a surf launch.   It was a fun filled day with 2 good people.

Here's Rod's report.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1089946

Pacific City Doryman's Association.

http://www.pcdorymen.com/PhotoGallery.html

40' up the beach, the landing was surprisingly smooth.

Inshore halibut.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

How do you get off the beach? Truck/trailer or crane?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

johndtuttle

Those Pacific Dories are legendary for over the beach capability. Weather looks nice!  ;D

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Nice report and great fishing.

Boat beach landing is used normally here too.
The Baja Guy

Dominick

Like fishing off of pangas from the beach.  Great fun at the end of the day.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Lee,

You make a beach landing so gracefull!!!! 

Here at the Buena Vista Resort on the East Cape, Here is the beater boat to bring us back at the end of the windblown day.

We barely make it onto the shore with a 15 yr. old Mexican young man at the helm!

Then, for a little more fun, our ride back to the resort was in the back of a white Ford Pickup with the driver beginning his afternoon a bit early, don't you think???

Always a barrel of fun!  Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

TomT

On many beaches in Baja, bringing the boat in on the beach is very routine, but most of the time the boat is dragged right above high water line and then used again the next morning--so you just leave it there.  If you use a trailer, sometimes you unload everyone on the beach and then you shove the boat back into the water and then back the trailer in and get the boat back on the trailer just like if you were at a boat ramp.                Sometimes conditions are not right for this--such as very deep sand.  In these cases, I have seen to back the boat trailer up to the boat--which is sitting on the sand way above water line-- just like if the boat was in the water and floating.  Then you hook up the trailer winch to the boat and then dig a trench on each side of the trailer in line with the trailer tires--towards the rear of the boat.  Then start operating the trailer winch like you are going to pull the boat onto the trailer---BUT what happens in the sand is that you pull the trailer back under the boat.  Then latch everything down and pull the boat and trailer out just as if you were on a boat ramp--it helps to have 4 wheel drive--BUT I have never seen it fail.
TomT

David Hall

Quote from: Keta on September 20, 2015, 04:25:13 PM
Drove north to make a 50 mile run to fish albacore but the weather was not nice so we changed plans a few times.   We ended up doing something that was on my list for a long time, a surf launch.   It was a fun filled day with 2 good people.

Here's Rod's report.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1089946

Pacific City Doryman's Association.

http://www.pcdorymen.com/PhotoGallery.html

40' up the beach, the landing was surprisingly smooth.

Inshore halibut.

Thanks for that Lee, 
I spent the greatest summer of my life, (1969) on that very same beach, every morning launching our 17' wooden dory into the surf and commercial fishing for salmon then surfing back onto the beach.  Still have family on the Wilson River.  Havent been back since then, gotta go one of these days.

Keta

Quote from: David Hall on September 21, 2015, 03:00:56 PM

Thanks for that Lee, 
I spent the greatest summer of my life, (1969) on that very same beach, every morning launching our 17' wooden dory into the surf and commercial fishing for salmon then surfing back onto the beach.  Still have family on the Wilson River.  Havent been back since then, gotta go one of these days.

The fishing is still good too.

Mark Twain

Islandgypsy

That looks like fun,great photos. Have to put a trip like that on the bucket list.