Penn 4/o special question

Started by wendull, September 20, 2015, 02:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wendull

I have a Baja special and a yellowtail special, but, why is this reel called a special, and is it rare?

MarkT

Rare? Not really. Special? It was a specialized reel intended for yoyoing for Yellowtail. It was a little narrower than a regular 113h and had 4:1 gears.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

day0ne

It is a 4/0 Special Senator, which means it is the high speed version (3.25:1) with red side plates vs the regular speed Senator (2:1) with the black side plates. Special Senators were available in 3/0, 4/0, and 6/0. It is a name that Penn gave their reels, and has nothing to do with the aftermarket Newell parts that have been added to that reel. In fact, if that reel is indeed a narrow, and I can't tell from the pictures you have on several different boards, and it has the 4:1 gears, it is the original yellowtail special. Like you've been told on other boards, it is set up for a deckhand type rod. It's not a particularly rare reel but still somewhat  desirable to some.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

MarkT

Is it narrowed? Does it have 4:1 gears? A YTS is about 3/8" narrower than a std 113h. I have a YTS built with a topless Tiburon frame and Newell 4:1 gears. I had a std with 113h with an Accurate frame and Newell 4:1 gears.

RowdyW

AND I have three 113 4/0 black plate in a YTS Tiburon topless frame (red) & YTS with top bar (silver) & one in a Accurate frame (gold) with 2.4 gears & a 113 4/0 black plate WIDE in a Tiburon frame (black) with 2.6 gears & double dogged & one in a wide Accurate frame (gold) with 2.0 gears. How's that for adding confusion to this discussion with a few Frankinreels? Does that make them Special?  ;D ;D ;D

wendull

Quote from: MarkT on September 20, 2015, 05:34:22 AM
Is it narrowed? Does it have 4:1 gears? A YTS is about 3/8" narrower than a std 113h. I have a YTS built with a topless Tiburon frame and Newell 4:1 gears. I had a std with 113h with an Accurate frame and Newell 4:1 gears.
Yes, it has 4 to 1 gears, and yes its a little narrower than a standard 113h,  Just wondered about the 4 screw rod clamp, but mainly , is it considered a Yellowtail special?, The only info I got off one other board was about the rod clamp

MarkT

Yes, it's a YTS.  They were originally made with Newell components like yours. Tiburon then made Aluminum frames and spools. Accurate made frames, spools and gears.

You could get a different seat if you want to use it on a rod with a seat.