Shimano TLD 20 Question

Started by InVision, September 21, 2015, 11:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InVision

Having trouble with the release line (free) on this lever drag reel.  It seems that the center ball bearing does not keep the pinion gear tight.  does anyone know if this is a press fit or should the gear be loose and move up and down the spool shaft.  It seems that if the pinion gear would stay and not slide it would release.

Thanks if anyone can understand that :-) and help.

M

Bryan Young

Can you post some pictures?  Use the Additional Options feature below the message you are entering.  You can add up to 4 photos.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

every bearing should be a "slip" fit, but after adding the anodizing, many bearing cups become a "pressed" fit.  for the right main side plate, the bearing should pull right out, no problem.  check them all.  these are the first points of failure. 

and welcome!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

InVision

First of all thanks for the replies.  

Refer to photos at end. Well After reading that they are close to a press fit I kind of figured that when I cleaned them up they move are which was not helpful.  So I put a little varnish on fit between the gear(B) and pressed it into the bearing.  I did the same to the ball bearing (A) and the housing. They now stay in place much better.  I was excited that the reel may free spool, but no glory.  Here are my observations.   Got the reel mostly back together and still no free spool.  If I press inward on the drag (C) the spool & shaft move inward (D).  The reel free spools as it should.  I then go to the strike position and back to free, it does not free spool until I push inward on (C) once again.  I tried at varies tensions still had to push on (C) to get the reel to free spool.  Main question is what is making the spool and shaft move so much?  About 3/16".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

M

RowdyW

Is the lever shaft body indexed correctly in the drag control lever? #TLD0011 in TLD0083 Also does the shaft & cross pin slide freely in the left side of the frame?

InVision

I just figured out what the problem is.  What has happened is that one of the bearings in the spool assembly is corroded.  I took it apart and cleaned it up.  This allowed the spring to push the drag plate to proper position when free spooling. I reassembled the reel and all is well.  I now can take apart and put back together a TLD20 in my sleep.   :o

Thank you,

M

RowdyW

If you didn't find that bearing problem on the initial tear down then it seems that you shortcutted your service on the reel. Remove the shields from at least one side of the bearings & either clean & repack them with marine grease or oil them with 321 if you need more free spool. Half service jobs always come back to bite you.

day0ne

Per your picture, A and B are NOT a press fit and should be able to freely move, You need to clean off the varnish you put on them.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

InVision

Quote from: day0ne on September 22, 2015, 06:13:17 PM
Per your picture, A and B are NOT a press fit and should be able to freely move, You need to clean off the varnish you put on them.

Thanks I did. 

M

InVision

Quote from: RowdyW on September 22, 2015, 05:47:39 PM
If you didn't find that bearing problem on the initial tear down then it seems that you shortcutted your service on the reel. Remove the shields from at least one side of the bearings & either clean & repack them with marine grease or oil them with 321 if you need more free spool. Half service jobs always come back to bite you.

Thanks.  That and not understanding exactly how the reel free spools.  The extra play finally turned on the light bulb. 

Since I am now retired and purchased a fishing boat it is time to get them in shape.  This is only the 1st in 8 fishing reels I have not used in almost 15 years.  My Stella 20000FA seems in great shape so it's just getting new line, but my Finnor 20 and 8 seems like they need a service as well as line.  The 2-speed TLD 30 was very smooth so it is just getting new line.

I am sure I will be asking more questions.  Thank goodness for a forum like this !!

M

RowdyW

Since the your reels haven't been used in 15 years they ALL should be taken down & serviced before using them again. Preventative maintenace is always better then frustration down the road. After 15 years the grease & oils are drying up or have dried up & are no longer doing what they are supposed to do (lubricating). For instance 15 years ago your TLD 30 2 speed did not have CF drags that were lubed with drag grease. "A word to the wise.....")