Squidder Upgrades

Started by ReelCurious, September 22, 2015, 01:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Hello ReelCurious, welcome.
You got some good advice from the guys.
A Squidder is a nice reel, but considering what we have available... as for upgrades, I would go with the 501 or 970.
I wouldn't usually recommend the 970, but now that I have enough for myself, I will ;D.
What happened to the crabs this year on the northern Chesapeake? And the past two years, for that matter.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Reel,

I was planning on doing at least a day down at Hatteras but reading the turtle report my head spun around, I'm not sure I'm smart enough to know which piece i can drive on. We'll see.

John

ReelCurious

Thanks for the input Sal.  I'm hoping that what could be done with a 501 could be done with a 99 - still not quite smart enough to figure that out.

Crabs...  I actually heard one rumor that it's the drum to blame.  The thought made me laugh, but the argument was drum returning (slot limits and such working) are eating up all the crabs.  Then there's the usual sewage run off, lime treatments, heavy metals and fertilizer/poop from the big farms coming from the Susky and the Potomac, among others.  Could be weather/salinity related too.  I guess that's a lot of ways to say I have no idea!

Turtles...  That's an easy one, don't run over any stakes/ribbons/whatever and you'll be fine.  Last I heard 90% of the turtle nests were run over by the parks folks looking for poachers and fishing licenses  anyways.  They're the ones that run up closer to the dunes where the nests are, we're too busy looking for fish.   ???

ReelCurious

I've been reading more of the 99 threads in the Penn tutorial section.  Seems like most folks are pointing towards a 501/506 for some reason.  I don't want to set off the mad scientists, but is it possible to have a 99 side plate, 506 guts, with a 501 frame?

Keta

No, the 505 parts will not fit the 99 sideplate.  The 506 and 501 use the same size frame.  

One of my Franken reels has Surfmaster 250 sideplates and a Tib "99" frame.  The 99 and 250 are similar (the Surfmaster 250 is Jigmaster 500/505 width) but the 250 are cheaper and easier to find.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ReelCurious

Quote from: Keta on September 23, 2015, 02:44:46 PM
No, the 505 parts will not fit the 99 sideplate.  The 506 and 501 use the same size frame.  

One of my Franken reels has Surfmaster 250 sideplates and a Tib "99" frame.  The 99 and 250 are similar (the Surfmaster 250 is Jigmaster 500/505 width) but the 250 are cheaper and easier to find.

Does that allow you to use the Jigmaster upgrades for the guts?  Like the double dog bridge and such.

thorhammer

500 upgrades should work. the 505/506 Jigmaster are high speed ball bearing models, which is why that won't translate. looking at it, a 506 (same narrow width as a 501) may fill your bill....even faster, but may not have the capacity you want.

ReelCurious

I should have probably asked a different question.  Since I'm limited on what can be upgraded with the Squidder (although I will hot rod it out to the max of what's available, I love it), what Penn reel would be most appropriate for surf casting that has the ability to be tanked up?  Then from the options are there any that can scratch the decorative side plate itch...

Edit:  I'll be more specific with surf casting.  OBX fishing with 8oz of lead hoping to reach the bar, with the ability to bring in the occasional large ray or small shark.  The other use is on a pier wenching up Stripers, Drum, etc.

Keta

Quote from: ReelCurious on September 23, 2015, 03:31:44 PM
Does that allow you to use the Jigmaster upgrades for the guts?  Like the double dog bridge and such.

No, the Surfmaster 250 sideplate will not work with Jigmaster parts.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

I'll take a 501 with me and let you know next week how it goes. You can tank that all the way.

ReelCurious

I think I'm going to run down to Buxton this weekend.  Bringing the Squidder with me to mount on a Lami 6 - 16oz rod.  I put 3 cups in the side plate that are cut so that I can get the magnet back out if need be.  Waiting for the epoxy to dry now then I'll test the free spool with different combinations.  Other than that it's bone stock.  Hoping to get a 1 piece 140 frame, gear sleeve/spacer, and eventually faster gears, and I think it'll be a sweet little toy.  Gives me something to play with while I figure out what the next step up is going to be.  Thanks again for all the feedback!

thorhammer

Yeah man, good luck! I talked to Ryan down there today; blowing it's arse off but supposed to slack by Sunday. He said the drum bite was on before the nor'easter set; it should push the mullet blow up so hopefully it's about to get real. I won't get down until Sunday but stay in touch for report. I just talked to another buddy and the stripers are turning on inside, although season is closed until Oct 1.

Tight lines!

J

theswimmer

Narrowed, Accurate, User, surf and bass casting.
This is not an unmarked beauty but is probably an all around favorite conventional reel.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Pic
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

thorhammer

A great set up without question but after you chuck it 120 not a lot left for a bull drum run much less the car hood rays that pick up your bait as often.