Alaska Trip #17... Day 1,2,3, + abridged 4,5...

Started by Steve-O, September 22, 2015, 08:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Only a couple of pics....full report much later.

Day one due to my late arrival and two hours of daylight to fish....only 5 were landed. 15 jacks were  caught and released. Lost a bunch of decent ones from their acrobatics.

Day two...limited in a couple hours. Going shore fishing on the saltwater for Sole and Rockfish. A big blow is keeping me off the kayak over the next day or so. Plan B. Land fishing.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on September 22, 2015, 08:35:19 PM
nice looking fish!  ;D
A little respect here.  Nice looking SalmonThe king of fishes.  ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Good job, Steve! Plank em and smoke em!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Dominick on September 22, 2015, 08:50:54 PM
Quote from: alantani on September 22, 2015, 08:35:19 PM
nice looking fish!  ;D
A little respect here.  Nice looking SalmonThe king of fishes;D Dominick

That would be Atlantic salmon, these fish are fish, and nice.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Salmon... its whats for dinner

Guys that have fished on Alaska, have you ever caught or heard about a white salmon?
I have a friend that fishes Alaska each year for the last 20 years and on winter stays on this city (baja) for 6 months, last time he told me about those while salmon and told me that he never eat them, but this time he will bring me some of those if he catch one, he normally fish on augusto or early sept.
his name is Howard Bronson, maybe you have meet him, hes 70 years old.

The Baja Guy

Keta

Quote from: steelfish on September 22, 2015, 10:50:55 PMGuys that have fished on Alaska, have you ever caught or heard about a white salmon?

Yes, they are white king salmon, about 1 in 20 kings are white.  It's caused by a genetic defect that does not let them absorb the color from krill that gives "normal" kings their color.  White Chinook (a king by another name) also show up in the Columbia River.   We did a blind taste test and the results were that there is not much difference, both eat good.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

At risk of personal evisceration, having eaten fresh Alaskan salmon, though while VERY tasty, is to be used for cut bait if Hognose Snapper are eating it. There I said it....:)

Keta

Quote from: thorhammer on September 22, 2015, 11:41:11 PM
At risk of personal evisceration, having eaten fresh Alaskan salmon, though while VERY tasty, is to be used for cut bait if Hognose Snapper are eating it. There I said it....:)

What kind of Pacific salmon and was it from a short or long system?   A long system sockeye or springer (a spring run Chinook) are far better than a short system fish.  Sea slugs (pink salmon) don't eat that good.

Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on September 22, 2015, 11:03:27 PM
Quote from: steelfish on September 22, 2015, 10:50:55 PMGuys that have fished on Alaska, have you ever caught or heard about a white salmon?

Yes, they are white king salmon, about 1 in 20 kings are white.  It's caused by a genetic defect that does not let them absorb the color from krill that gives "normal" kings their color.  White Chinook (a king by another name) also show up in the Columbia River.   We did a blind taste test and the results were that there is not much difference, both eat good.

thanks Keta

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Quote from: Keta on September 23, 2015, 12:23:02 AM
Quote from: thorhammer on September 22, 2015, 11:41:11 PM

What kind of Pacific salmon and was it from a short or long system?   A long system sockeye or springer (a spring run Chinook) are far better than a short system fish.  Sea slugs (pink salmon) don't eat that good.

Silver from Alaska. Though may be different level from Sockeye or Chinook, cant say I've had that. But I can tell you, down here we sell the grouper and keep the hognose...

I'm just busting on Steve cause he used to live 20 miles from me  :)

John

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: thorhammer on September 23, 2015, 01:48:58 AM
Silver from Alaska. Though may be different level from Sockeye or Chinook, cant say I've had that. But I can tell you, down here we sell the grouper and keep the hognose...

I'm just busting on Steve cause he used to live 20 miles from me  :)

John

Silver is coho, not bad for salmon but it's no sockeye.  Salmon should be consumed as soon as they are killed as possible.

Mark Twain