Finally busted open my first reel

Started by drichitt, January 11, 2011, 11:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drichitt

I have been lurking on this site for a long time and finally decided to get myself organized enough to learn what makes my trolling reels tick. Once I made the commitment I decided to look deeper into this great website Alan has assembled. I am amazed at how much information is here and how helpful it has been.  Needless to say I have now disassembled, cleaned and serviced, and reassembled almost 10 reels. My successes so far are some Penn 209, 309, 330GTI, 113H, 114H reels and a Daiwa 47H my wife bought at a yard sale. I would like to thank Alan and all of those that have contributed to this site. I plan to have all of my gear ready for this spring's opening striped bass (rockfish) season here on the Chesapeake Bay. In the mid-atlantic region we have a fantastic local fishing message board called Tidal Fish (TF). I have put up a post on TF site about my experience hoping to get others to get started as well http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/297567-This-Winter-s-Project-Learn-how-to-service-my-fishing-reels ....Don

Roger

Ain't it fun? Your hooked now, there's no turning back. It's all about having fun,servicing your on reels and making them preform the way they should.........

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

kamuwela

for me its fun and about piece of mind knowing that nothing was left to chance. you never know what you get when you send it out unless you send it to alan.

alantani

thanks for joining up.  please feel free to cut and paste any information from here you want over to tidalfish. hope to see more posts!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

qcguy4198

Now you can troll the yard sales and look for great deals on reels that have been abused and ignored for years. ;D My best has been a Penn 9/0 that was green and would hardly turn. Picked it up "reel cheap" . With the great info available here I had the knowledge & confidence to pull it apart down to the last screw and spring...clean it up, put it back together and now have a gorgeous fully functional "big boy" in my trolling spread. When it was all said and done...I spent more for the (mono) line to spool that monster than I did for the reel itself.

Bryan Young

Man, I hardly find those deals.  Maybe I gotta search in different areas.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

we should hit the san jose flea market on thursdays!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

If I didn't have to work I would, unless it's in the afternoon (after 3:00 pm).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D