Big thank you to Alan!

Started by Dan G., September 24, 2015, 01:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan G.

Alan,

I plan on fishing for yellowfin off the Texas oil platforms this January and was doing some research on the Internet for proper rod/reel choices to handle the 50-70# fish that are frequently caught but also to handle the occasional 100 pounder.  While doing the research, I came across an article you wrote for the September 2010 issue for Pacific Coast Sportfishing- do you need a 2-speed reel? (http://www.pcsportfishing.com/blog/174)  You described the 66 year old fart fisherman and what type of reel and what gear ratios he would need.  Well, confession time- I am that old fart.  I'm 66 years old and have a bad back.  My stand-up days of fishing striped marlin out of a panga in Baja are over but I don't have trouble catching the middle weights with the right tackle.  Your article was spot on and I quickly narrowed my choices down to 2-speeds with lugs (I may need a harness) and a lower gear ratio.  I have lots of rods/reels for smaller tuna and heavy spinning tackle for jigging the larger fish so was looking for a live bait/chunking outfit spooled with 500 yards of 65# braid with 50# fluorocarbon top shot. I really enjoyed fishing with my Andros 5iia last August in San Diego (great casting, very smooth drag, excellent fit/finish) so ordered an Andros 12iia.  With 4.7:1/2.1:1 gear ratios, 34# drag, 560 yards of 65# braid, lugs, and 24.7 oz. this reel seems to fit this old fart's needs just fine and meets the criteria you mention in the article.  I'll build myself a 50-80# rod to pair with it. Since I live in SLC, I can't always do a hands-on evaluation so I depend a great deal on the advice I get from this forum.  Thanks for the great advice and for taking the time to write this informative article.

Dan

P.S.  I'll bet there will be lots of young farts on the tuna trip that will want to take the reel for a "spin around the block"- any bets?   ;)

alantani

no doubt!  if i was going to pick a reel for you, it would be the okuma makaira 10!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!