International 11 50TW Rebuild

Started by BahamaLure, January 12, 2011, 02:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BahamaLure

I read with interest the 30W thread and the 50T thread, great info there guys! I am currently servicing my 50TW and have it apart on the bench. Couple of issues I'd like advise on -

1. the bearings feel worn and a bit grainy when turned by finger, what is the best option for replacement? I have found them online for a variety of prices but I do not have the experience here to decide.

2. the drag washer looks ok, should be fine to leave it but I'd like to grease it first as per the other 2 tutorials. Which grease to use?

3. I would like to make a bearing sleeve, does anyone have the specs for one to fit this reel? I have brass stock and a lathe so I could do it that way.

I can post up pics if anyone is interested. Thanks!
Alan

kamuwela

if you can feel the bearings then i am sure they are bad. most replacement bearings are made with plastic seals and cages if you plan on keeping the reel then spend a little more on the bearings. as for the sleeve a drill press and a file will work fine, since you are using brass. mark it and cut it long then file fit. if you can get stainless then make use of that lathe by all means.

alantani

yeah, dump the old bearings and get new ones.  check the dimensions and you will probaby find them a smoothdrag.com or bocabearings.com.  i probably have them as well.  for the drag washer, as long as you have a woven fiber type, just clean it up and grease it.  if it is a "car disc brake" type, order a new one from mysticparts.com.  mystcparts will also have cal's grease and bearings.   it's just that their shipping costs are a little higher.  for the bearing sleeve, go with brass.  it's tons easier to work with.  for the little pressure that they are under, you could actually use plastic.  please keep us posted.  alan

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BahamaLure

thanks guys. I just took a better look at the bearings, the one in the left face plate is fine, the 2 on the shaft are grainy and the third in the right plate is actually frozen solid. I'll order up replacements and come back with results on the bearing sleeve later (am waiting on parts to fix the lathe too!)
Alan

alantani

what kind of drag washer do you have?

BahamaLure

drag washer -

plate with slight scoring, not deep enough to feel with my finger -
Alan

kamuwela

youll need some cal's to grease that drag, load it on and wipe off the excess.

alantani

the reel looks to be in excellent shape for an old tw.  i agree, grease the drag and you should be fine.  thanks for the photos!

BahamaLure

bearings are ordered, the lathe is finally fixed so I'll post back after its all here and I have a go at the bearing sleeve.
Alan

BahamaLure

Alan do you or anyone have a thread about making a bearing sleeve for this reel? I finally am ready to build it back. Thank you.
Alan

Dominick

Bahamalure:  Check out this thread.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=137.0 That thread will show you how to make a bearing sleeve.  You don't need to change the drag, that is the carbon tech drag.  It looks new.  The plate is fine don't rough it up by doing anything but polishing it with chrome polish so that you will have a smooth drag.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

BahamaLure

thank you Dominick, that was the thread I wanted. Here are some pics of the results.

I made the sleeve out of aluminum tube, that's all I had. Took 3 tries to make one that was not too short, this one did as Alan described in the 30SW thread, it JUST put pressure on the opposite bearing without moving it.

Drag plate all polished up, hopefully it is not too smooth

Finished reel, note the screw still on the bench...  :o

This little fellow was staring at me the entire time of the rebuild, mocking me to find where it goes in the reel. Darned if I could figure it out.... anyone have thoughts on this rascal? I can not find it on the schematic either. The reel appears to be functioning fine without it.

Alan

Norcal Pescador

That almost looks like a screw for the clicker "spring". ???  Are you sure it wasn't on the bench before you started? ::)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BahamaLure

Quote from: norcal pescador on September 19, 2011, 02:11:25 PM
That almost looks like a screw for the clicker "spring". ???  Are you sure it wasn't on the bench before you started? ::)

I don;t think that is off the clicker, I never touched that and it appears to still be all there, I have a loc-nut holding the clicker together. I do not think the screw was there before the reel because I put the reel parts into a tray as they came off. I looked again at the schematic and still do not see such a beast anywhere....?  :-\
Alan

Norcal Pescador

My mistake! :-[  I should have said the springs that hold the dogs against the pawl. (One screw for each spring.) On the other hand, if the reel works fine, then I'll quit while I'm ahead. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD