Daiwa Saltiga 2010 4500H Magseal - Salt grinder ;)

Started by Slazmo, September 25, 2015, 02:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slazmo

Just a few pictures to show people what neglect looks like - even in a Magseal'ed reel...

Reel was cleaned out as good as I could with no real intent to repair it... pointless due to parts required.

Slazmo

Other pictures

MarkT

Wow, looked pretty good in that 1st picture... then I scrolled down to the interior pictures and thought WTF? Was it submerged, repeatedly, and never cleaned?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Slazmo

Quote from: MarkT on September 25, 2015, 02:25:15 AMWow, looked pretty good in that 1st picture... then I scrolled down to the interior pictures and thought WTF? Was it submerged, repeatedly, and never cleaned?

There is a story behind it - basically was dunked for 7 minutes at less than a meter of water and left alone for a while after that, and it got worse as he used it for the time - reel bought brand new. He's not much of a fisherman from what I am told...

Then I got it and "this". Thats the whole story what I know.

Not bad huh  ;D

TomT

Wow!!  I am really surprised.  About 10 yrs ago I was on board a friends boat and we were trolling for salmon.  That year we had a big influx of salmon sharks around and had a lot of gear, etc damaged.  Something struck my friend's wife's pole which was in a rod holder.  The rod holder snapped off and her gear--pole and reel went into the ocean.  We were in shock and could not believe it.  The boat circled around and then another fisherman on our boat said he had a hook-up.  To shorten the story, he had hooked her line and eventually brought up her rig, which included her pole, reel and even the broken off metal rod holder.  Her reel was a Penn 210, I believe, and the reel was missing one of the pinion       screws so plenty of saltwater could have gotten in.  It was probably 3 or 4 hours later when we got to shore and I volunteered to take the reel home to see if I could salvage it.  When I got it home I put it into a bucket of fresh water and it was probably 3 or 4 days later before I actually took the reel apart.  The difference in your reel and her reel is that her reel showed absolutely NO damage from saltwater intrusion--with NO corrosion.  I do not service or repair reels for money and I do not claim to have any expertise at this.  But I believe the problem with your reel could have really been minimized had they put it into a bucket of fresh water right away.  I serviced that reel then and then another time about 2 yrs ago.  At that time it was still in great condition.  I don't believe she had used it much in that time as it still looked the same as the last time I had serviced it.  Salt water intrusion can be very unforgiving.  Possibly a difference in style of reels also.
TomT

CapeFish

Quote from: TomT on September 25, 2015, 03:37:23 AM
Wow!!  I am really surprised.  About 10 yrs ago I was on board a friends boat and we were trolling for salmon.  That year we had a big influx of salmon sharks around and had a lot of gear, etc damaged.  Something struck my friend's wife's pole which was in a rod holder.  The rod holder snapped off and her gear--pole and reel went into the ocean.  We were in shock and could not believe it.  The boat circled around and then another fisherman on our boat said he had a hook-up.  To shorten the story, he had hooked her line and eventually brought up her rig, which included her pole, reel and even the broken off metal rod holder.  Her reel was a Penn 210, I believe, and the reel was missing one of the pinion       screws so plenty of saltwater could have gotten in.  It was probably 3 or 4 hours later when we got to shore and I volunteered to take the reel home to see if I could salvage it.  When I got it home I put it into a bucket of fresh water and it was probably 3 or 4 days later before I actually took the reel apart.  The difference in your reel and her reel is that her reel showed absolutely NO damage from saltwater intrusion--with NO corrosion.  I do not service or repair reels for money and I do not claim to have any expertise at this.  But I believe the problem with your reel could have really been minimized had they put it into a bucket of fresh water right away.  I serviced that reel then and then another time about 2 yrs ago.  At that time it was still in great condition.  I don't believe she had used it much in that time as it still looked the same as the last time I had serviced it.  Salt water intrusion can be very unforgiving.  Possibly a difference in style of reels also.
TomT

The difference though is that grinder is closed up and the water can't go anywhere, where as you basically flushed out all the saltwater by placing it in a bucket. If you left it on a shelf for a few weeks it would not have looked good. Anycase, so much for mag sealing and the price you pay for those reels, crazy!

Jeri

Hi All,

I'm a great fan of Alan Hawk, and read his very critical reviews with great interest – however on the point of water proofing fixed spool reels – I think it is a lost cause, as water is probably able to get in anywhere – as this reel shows. Despite all the hype about mag-sealed reels, and the obvious gasket around the 'gearbox', salt water has filled this reel nicely and gone to work on all the components.

Might the solution be to skip the concept of making them waterproof, and just drill in a few drain holes???

This is a very pertinent subject down in southern Africa at the moment, as we are seeing a lot of anglers switch over to fixed spool and braid – and then going wading with their surf rods. Perhaps the likes of Quantum and Finnor have the better idea – they provide a drain plug to let the angler drain the water, they even provide spare drain plugs in the box from new.

Just a thought

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Tiddlerbasher

A thought I echo Jerry. For the last year I have drilled a drainage hole (usually towards the rear of the reel) - Hold combo upright and most of the water drains out. I may try 2 holes fore and aft. I need to select one my cheapest spinners and experiment a little :D