330GTi spool slippage

Started by hookd, January 12, 2011, 06:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hookd

After reading lots of the posts on this site and following the step by step instructions, I was very successful taking apart and servicing many of my smaller Penn 320GT2s.  When I was recently given an older Penn 330GTi I thought, great, I know what to do with this reel.  Well after getting everything greased, new drag washers from Dawn installed, and everything reassembled I was disappointed to find that something else must need replacing.  This is where my "false expertise" ends and I need some help diagnosing either where I made a mistake or where to look for the problem.  

Here's the problem... When pulling line off the reel, against the drag, every so often something releases and slips for a fraction of a second and maybe 6" of line comes off without any drag pressure.  While this happens there is a noise like the gears have momentarily disengaged and are grinding.  I took it apart again and looked at the drag stack and it appears that it is assembled correctly.  I looked at the gears and could not identify an area of excessive wear or distortion.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  
Thanks for you assistance!

Hook'd

Bryan Young

It sounds like the dog is not properly seated.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

If the handle does not turn backward-- an indication that the dog is worn or in upside down -- then I'll bet the inside of the pinion gear is worn so that it slips on the spool. I've seen that fairly often on the 340 and 345 that have been fished too hard. If your older 330 was fished with heavy spectra (remember the 330 rated for only 30#) then this could be your problem. If you replace the pinion, you'll need to replace the main gear a well.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

hookd

Thank you for your input.  I should have mentioned that the handle does NOT turn backwards.  I will look at the inside of the pinion gear after work today and report back.
Thanks again for the help.

alantani

yeah, my first thought was that there was corrosion on the spool shaft and pinion gear and that the pinion gear was not seating properly. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hookd

Sorry it took so long for me to follow up with this post.

The first attached photo show the pinion gear.  To me it looks like it is rounded over in the area that engages the spool.  In the second photo is looks like the spool is still in good shape.  The part that seats into the pinion gear looks to be still squared off.

Diagnosis... new pinion gear needed.  

Am I correct??

Thanks!

alantani

either that or just clean it up and make sure it seats properly.  there might be rust on the inside of the pinion gear that is causing it to stick.

Bryan Young

Try sliding the pinion gear over the spool shaft and with your hands, see how the gear engages with the spool in each position.  If it's sticking, you will probably feel it.  If the pinion does not easily engages with the spool, they you will see your problem immediately.

Schematics - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200370678_200370678

My other guess is the upper bridge screws are not reversed with the lower bridge screws.  I've made that mistake before and the pinion yoke or the clutch springs would get caught in the screw threads.

The other thing that occured to me was I had put too much grease on the dog that the spring so the dog would sometimes get stuck.  I've learned to light grease the dog and spring.

Lastly is the eccentric jack is not properly placed so you don't have a good disengagement of the pinion yoke towards the spool.

The above three would make a kind of grinding sound.  Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

hookd

Thank you for all your help.  Let me follow up with some of your suggestions. 
The pinion gear engages the spool easily when I do it by manually.  There does not appear to be any corrosion that is hindering them engaging. 

The bridge screws are not reversed.

The dog and spring are functioning properly.

I had another suggestion e-mail to me from a friend.  He thinks that the corners of the spool "gear" have been knocked off.  (Look closely at the ends of the "gear" in the picture.)  He said this could have occurred when free-spooling (rapidly and with significant weight) and then stopping the spool by throwing the lever and putting it in gear.  He won't say how he knows this can happen... ;)

If this is true, looks like the spool will be replaced.

I have attached a full size picture to make it easier to view.

Thanks again for helping me work through this.

Terry

alantani

if the pinion gear is not seating properly, maybe you could try stretching out the yoke springs a little,  by making them "taller," they will exert more force to push the pinion gear down against the shoulders of the spool shaft.  this might help.......