30vsw drag

Started by JamesG, January 12, 2011, 01:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesG

Can anyone offer some advice. I recently purchased a used penn 30vsw and the first thing I did was strip it down, clean it, grease it and reassemble. Here's the problem, I have put it back together as per the schematics but even if I wind the preset knob back to its lowest setting, there is still a significant amount of drag when the lever is pushed up toward strike. Now I didn't check the operation of the reel before stripping it down so don't know if I've created the problem but for the life of me I cannot work out what is wrong with it. My only thought is that the pinion gear is not the correct length . I know there are two model 30 vsw's and I am thinking that maybe the pinion is off the other version.

My model is this one http://www.pennreels.com/exp_views/conv/407-30vsw_Rev_31.pdf

Can anyone please supply the correct length of the pinion gear and also the standard configuration of the bellevilles? Also, if there are closeups of how the preset screw, cam follower and eccentric cam fit together I would appreciate it.

alantani

james, the schematic is correct (not all of them are) and it shows the proper orientation "()()".  one thing you could try is to change it to "(())" and see what effect that has.  everything else will seat properly as you put it together, or it will not go together at all.  you might consider pulling off the right side plate again and checking the function of the preset dial and lever.  push in with your finger on the right main side plate bearing as you work the lever and preset dial to make sure the bearing is moving properly.  i am also home all day thursday and friday.   try this evening and check back here.  let's talk tomorrow if this still does not work.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

i cant give you the pinion length but the belleville's should be ()() this is the softest setting. if you mic belleville's and change them around maintaining the same stack thickness you can get a more drastic drag.()() soft ((()) medium ((((( maximum. also check your drag lever the cam may have flipped over. you can try putting the lever to full and remove lever and move it 90 degrees this will reset the cam if it was installed 90 degrees out