OVER ONE LARGE FOR A 1938 LONG BEACH!!!

Started by Penn Chronology, September 28, 2015, 05:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

I keep looking at this EBay insanity. Over $1000 for a Long Beach.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391267695417?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

I was onto it from the beginning. Myself and Superhook advised the seller about it; even offered to purchase it privately; but, the seller was insistent, he was going to put it on EBay. it is a One Off, very rare, clear side plate Long Beach. I was going to make a generous offer of $200. The seller decided he would do better making it public. I was one of the bidders; but, not for long. basically because I refused to play this game. I own enough rare reels to know that once it goes public, it will get crazy, maybe or maybe not. It depends on who gets involved.

So now I have to say to myself, """"SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!''''. There is a new hot shot in town. A old, beat up, 1930's Penn Long Beach, that may be a result of a drunken afternoon Friday party at the Penn plant in the 1930's with Penn assembly line workers trying to create the most weird reel of the week, has sold for over """ONE LARGE""".

Stranger things have happened; but, not too many of them!!!! :P :P :P :o :o :o

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Superhook

Value is in the EYE of the beholder or BRAIN of the beholder.  No doubt a rare example of a Long Beach . Possibly a one of......so far , that we know.  When you pay a grand for a Model F or a K you know how many were made and they are a tough find .  This is a designer item .....Ha! I can hear you all making funny noises.  Okay , clarified as Designed to allow the workings to be seen . I would have liked to own it but it went way passed my estimate and self imposed limit.  Good luck to the winner.

Rancanfish

I've lost a lot of deals on Ebay bidding 'reasonable' amounts.  I'd say the guy was proven pretty smart to put it out there.  If it was mine, it would have gone for $16.00.  ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

If you are the winner of that reel, John -- and might need a few parts -- I would be glad to look through some of the old parts I might have.

Glad to donate, if there is a need.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Quote from: foakes on September 28, 2015, 04:33:02 PM
If you are the winner of that reel, John -- and might need a few parts -- I would be glad to look through some of the old parts I might have.

Glad to donate, if there is a need.

Best,

Fred

No not me. 
I appreciate the offer though Fred. 

Not sure if this possible one-of-a-kind reel would benefit from a makeover with period correct parts.  My suspicionis that the value is already their and messing with any of the visable parts (other then maybe the drag washers and/or under gear or small stuff like a dog spring) might actually hurt it's value.  Might he best to keep this one original.  Maybe the new owner will take you up on that offer.  I know if it were my reel, I would be tempted to send it to Ted to have him throughly go though it, and perform his miracle restoration.

I am pretty sure most anyone who collects old Penns would be proud to have this one in their collection.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

reelistic

You folks think maybe this particular examplel is some kinda tradeshow display item?
I beleive that post WWII Detroit auto makers employed the use of Plexiglas as hoods for their dream cars to showcase the engine.

Penn Chronology

I believe this was possibly a Trade Show reel; but, more than likely a promotional giveaway, similar to the cutaway reels.

Oceanreels

There are some opinions posted here about the purchase and worth of this reel. Seeing that I'm the INSANE ??? person that got it, I figured I would offer mine. Over the years I have been able to acquire a few Penn Reels that, at this time, are the only one known. As a rule they don't come cheap.
     When I saw this one I felt it was Very Rare. :o The reel was most likely made in 1938 based on the handle and scene on the tail plate. Also it was most likely made as a salesman sample or display reel so they could show the inner workings of the reel.   It's a 77 years old reel and at this point it is the first one to be seen ( that the collectors know about ), to me that's rare.    Superhook  stated "  Value is in the EYE of the beholder or BRAIN of the beholder.  No doubt a rare example of a Long Beach . Possibly a one of......so far , that we know.  When you pay a grand for a Model F or a K you know how many were made and they are a tough find . "  Penn Chronology  has stated this about the Model F   "There were approximately 1000 of them made in 1932. Then they were sent all over the country. I would estimate about 20 of them accounted for in today's market plus or minus a couple." The last Model F on eBay sold for $1676.01  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Penn-Fishing-Reel-Model-F-/121659905620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c537ed654&nma=true&si=wk0hd%252F4Tf3TMc4QatB1MtwSwx7A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
If you look at all of that, I think ( don't ask my wife, she feels I never think :'() this reel was well worth $1009.00. That's my 2 cents ( you could say my 100,900 cents ) on this reel.
     From now on just refer to me as  "The INSANE One"  ;D and everyone will know who you are talking about.
        John, you may be right about a makeover of this reel with period correct parts, which I have. The bad part is it looks like that who ever cleaned the corrosion off the chrome used a file or wire brush. At this point the only thing I'm going to do to this reel is clean the inside, replace the free spool lever ( it has to go ) and a couple of really bad screws on the head plate with period correct parts. Will post photos when this is done.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

foakes

Good call, Brian --

Just clean, service for show, and enjoy your wise acquisition.

If you might get stuck on one or two parts -- let me and the rest of the Board know -- might have what you need to make it period correct with no wrong parts.

N/C if I have anything you need.

On the value --

You have the reel -- and that is everything on a one or two off piece.

As you well know, these rarest of the rare will not only hold their value -- they will go up depending on the buyer and sellers involved.

Ebay is only a small indicator of the market on these rare reels -- although an important resource to consider.  Others are trades, casual sales, specialty auctions, collectors needing that "one" last piece to fill a collection -- and so much more.

Clyde Harbin used to say -- "Aint nothin worth nothin, til someone wants to buy it".

With CDs hovering around a one-half % annual return, the market as volatile as it is, funds only yielding 5-6% maybe -- this is a place for wise investors and collectors to look at.

Personally, my opinion is that this reel would be worth twice your purchase price in a very few years.

Welcome!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

Hello Insane One,

Remember, genius is always considered crazy until it is truly revealed as genius.

Congrats on a great reel.

Not the Insane One

alantani

Quote from: Oceanreels on October 15, 2015, 02:38:32 PM

There are some opinions posted here about the purchase and worth of this reel. Seeing that I'm the INSANE ??? person that got it, I figured I would offer mine. Over the years I have been able to acquire a few Penn Reels that, at this time, are the only one known. As a rule they don't come cheap.

congratulations!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Oceanreels

Fred
     Thanks for the offer of parts. I should have anything I may need, but if not will contact you.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

broadway

I'd say you're insane, but I may have bid once or twice on that reel myself, so that makes me just a little less insane than you. ;)
Glad it's in a good home, and I totally agree that the rare ones don't come cheap.  Come on, a clear LB, who ever heard of that?!
Looking forward to seeing her cleaned up,
Dom

mizmo67

I'm thinking a sales/trade model, like what they do nowadays with the cut-out reels.

Really cool!

And slightly insane, but hey, I think that's the definition of the serious collector.  ;D
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com