Solterra 30 II Two speed

Started by kgreggfl, January 12, 2011, 05:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgreggfl

I am looking for reviews, information or observations regarding the Solterra 30 II two speed reels. Anybody use one yet?  Our application is a 7 line trolling spread.  We currently fish with a pair of Penn 245's off outriggers, three TLD 25's, two off outrodders and one flatline, in the corner; a planer rod in the other corner (Int'l 50SW with a hot rod drag: > 50lbs) and a Int'l 50 in the shotgun, way way back.  The 50 shotgun seems too big for our normal trolling (I bought it for high speed wahoo fishing and reworked the drag, so I am using what I've got for now).  I am looking for a two speed graphite reel for the shotgun, so line capacity is important.  I prefer all mono for trolling, as braid may cut off other lines on long wahoo runs.  The advantages of the Solterra 30 II over the TLD 30 II seem to be larger line capacity: 540 yds of 40lb mono versus the TLD's 450 yds... aside from the $100 price difference. Anyone have real world observations?

Thanks!

amarcafina

I don't know but I'm thinking of buying one SLR30 myself ! I am gonna keep up searching for more Info though ????   ::)

boghy

I had - Solterra 50w - one speed.
The good: Smooth drag, cal's grease drag, T-Bar handle (Tiburon Engineering design). While in warranty you get excellent support on any okuma reels. No fees needed to get the parts - not even for shipping. It's just a matter of calling them to get the parts - I like that!

The bad: 1 - Anything over 30w is recommended to have aluminum frame - this series are build from thick graphite (no reports of broken frame yet)
2 - the aluminum spool on 50w has 4 small screws that can fail easily on getting them tight. The only fix for that is to replace the entire spool.
3 - the frame screw heads are not always properly manufactured and normal hexagonal tools sometimes fail to fit properly. Also, after few openings the main frame will fail to hold properly the frame screws - this problem was noticed personally ONLY on Solterra slr-15cs - so far. The screws have same design from slr-10 to slr-50w. If okuma would use similar design as penn senator when comes to tight the side plate to the main frame these reels would had a better success.

Again, while in warranty you shouldn't worry about these parts to get them replaced, since is hassle free, but as soon as you are out of that one year warranty - money talks.  

People do not know, or trust Okuma, which makes me to buy more of these reels since the price is still low AND as of 2008 the hole manufacturing design got change after the huge Tiburon - Okuma collaboration started, but that will change FAST - price wise.

A side of all this if you are targeting serious fish and don't have the money for it - try Cavalla series - you can crank 20-25lb on lower gear on an cavalla 20 - aluminum frame.
Overall okuma is good - but you need to match your fishing style with one of they reels series. Not everything on specs are a match - especially drag - be aware on thous numbers since some of these series are up to 30% less drag from what the specs shows. All these digitally measured before loosing free spool.
Also, when i sent an email to okuma to question they drag specs - no answer, but try to ask them about buying a reel - you'll get an answer over email within 24h.
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

amarcafina

Got my SLR 30L 2 speed and so far I'm impressed ! took it apart with no problem, only took a little time to get the spring back in on the shift button . Added alittle grease to drag washer and screws was about it .
Tried it out on a few large Snappers ! Smooth and in low speed it's not even fair for the fish !!!