Yamaha Grease

Started by speedwell, January 13, 2011, 08:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedwell

I have searched all over but no joy. I have attained two small tubes of Yamaha grease. Everything on them is in Japanese except the label "Yamaha Grease - Water Resistant Grease P/No 90890-69910". The grease is an opaque pale orange and the consistency of white Lithium Grease. I am told it is Yamaha Grease A and commonly used on outboards. Can it be used in the same fashion as the blue "Marine Grease"?
Thanks.

alantani

i really don't know.  honestly, i've been using the blue yamaha marine grease for 10 years and really like the stuff.  i'm sure there are alot of products that are just as good.  i simply do not have a 10 year track record with any of them.  since you've got it already, i'd say use it and let us know if you have any problems down the line.  you really should be fine.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

speedwell

Thank you for your prompt reply Alan. The grease in question is called up in all sorts of Yamaha outboard repair manuals (as Yamaha Grease A), particularly for seals and splines. Can't hurt and it was cheaper than Hot Sauce so we will give it a whirl and report back. My stuff gets three solid weeks of beatings on the Cape Cod Canal and in the Cape surf beginning each May and ending in September so it will see some severe use.(I am the Canadian Ditch Troll).
Best Regards
Speedwell

nathanbrand

Hey Alan,

Based on your recommendation (as well as others) I went looking for some Yamaha Marine Grease,
and in Massachusetts, it has been impossible to find. I tried a few marinas that were official Yamaha dealers as well as a few hardware stores. They had some Yamaha lubes, but not the marine grease. It would be nice if we could get some of the local tackle shops to carry it...

Do you know of any national chains that may deal in this stuff? If not, do you have a second or third recommendation, if I don't find it?

Thanks

alantani

first hit on google!

http://www.parkeryamaha.com/yamahamarinegrease141oz.aspx

and it looks like they finally figured out why they're selling so much! 

Yamaha all purpose Marine grease is the most versatile grease available. Withstands extreme temperatures and the corrosive effects of saltwater with excellent adhesion. Anti corrosive, multi purpose, stable and will not break down at low or high temperatures. Dropping point is 475degs F. Compatible can be used with a variety of greases and applications from fishing reels to boat trailer wheels.

nipsip

superlube comes in 3oz cartridges - can be used in the same places as Yamaha + it is a high temp/high pressure grease.

rmi63

While this place does sell the grease at a decent price, shipping will kill you if you only want to buy one tube. They want $11.00 for shipping just one tube. I have found a place that has this item for $5.53 and best of all, the shipping was only $1.75! It shipped the same day too! It is at:
http://www.boats.net/index.php?p=product&id=881614&parent=5

Ron

Quote from: alantani on March 08, 2011, 02:10:07 AM
first hit on google!

Yamaha all purpose Marine grease is the most versatile grease available. Withstands extreme temperatures and the corrosive effects of saltwater with excellent adhesion. Anti corrosive, multi purpose, stable and will not break down at low or high temperatures. Dropping point is 475degs F. Compatible can be used with a variety of greases and applications from fishing reels to boat trailer wheels.

Alto Mare

Nice find Ron...thank you!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Hogginhank

first hit on google!

Well I looked at all of the Yamaha dealerships in my area and had no luck getting the marine grease. I was at the yamaha dealership looking and the parts manager tried to find it in the back of the shop and in the catalog they had with no luck. Well he finally pulled up the link for parkeryamaha and said that this was the best price since his cost was just over $7 for the 14oz tubes. Well after I saw that the shipping was $14 for just one tube I called him back and he hooked me up bigtime. He charged me a little over his cost and said he would work it out so there was no shipping. I should have a few tubes by next week..I'm stoked!! It seems that no dealerships carry this?? What the heck!!

I do have a question about the grease Alan. Do you use this in your trailer bearings for your boat? I only have one grease gun that I use for my trailer bearings and wasn't sure if you recomend this for use in trailers?? Kind of off subject of fishing reels but the "Boat" is fishing related..LOL

alantani

yeah, i saw that too!   ;D

kamuwela

i use it on my trailer. i also use it on my outdive, prop splines and trailer jack.

Hogginhank

Quote from: kamuwela on October 16, 2011, 10:20:38 AM
i use it on my trailer. i also use it on my outdive, prop splines and trailer jack.

Cool. Then I should be good to go with it in my grease gun. Thanks

Keta

Thanks for the link Ron.  I can't get the closest Yamaha outboard dealer (90 miles over the mountains)  to order or stock the blue Yamaha grease, now I can get it mailed to me for a good price.   
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Paleoreelist

Thanks for the link Ron, 3 tubes shipped to the UK for less than $18.00. ;D
The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a Y.

floating doc

Ron, thanks so much for the link! I've slowly been assembling materials and tools to start servicing my reels, and couldn't find the Yamaha marine grease locally. I pulled up the Parker's site, but the shipping killed it for me. I closed that page and then I came back here and searched (again) when I found your link. Placed the order immediately!

Quote from: rmi63 on October 06, 2011, 02:27:01 PM
While this place does sell the grease at a decent price, shipping will kill you if you only want to buy one tube. They want $11.00 for shipping just one tube. I have found a place that has this item for $5.53 and best of all, the shipping was only $1.75! It shipped the same day too! It is at:
http://www.boats.net/index.php?p=product&id=881614&parent=5

Ron

first hit on google!

Central Florida