First timer

Started by spes, January 13, 2011, 11:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spes

Hi Alan,
Thank you for the info on fixing my OkumaTG 15II. And thanks for the grease!

I plan on cleaning out my Avet LX before diving into the Okuma. I thought this might be a simpler thing to do as a first timer.
  I do have a few questions I would like to ask before diving in.
When you open a reel and have some internal parts with some salt water corrosion what do you use to clean it off?  Salt-X, Corrosion-X,  something else?  And is that procuct used on the bearings prior to lubing them?
Also, after applying a thick coating of drag grease to the inside of the spool and to both sides of the drag washer, do you only buff up all the excess grease on the working side of the drag washer? Leave it heavy on the inside of the spool side?

Thanks for the help!
Spes

Bryan Young

Try checking out http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=238.0.h.

Depending on how much salt you see, I would use spray saltaway (I think it's similar to salt-x).  Then use marine grease for the exposed metal surfaces.  For spool bearings, shields removed and cleaned with carb cleaner and forced air, the dunked in TSI301 or corrosionX.  Non-spool bearings, filled with marine grease.

Drags, use Cals all purpose or Shimano drag grease, and wipe off excess.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

It doesn't take much grease to seal off the metal from the water. Just put a little on a toothbrush, acid brush or finger and wipe it around until there's a good even coat.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

i get an old toothbrush and brush around the old grease, leaving a film just thin enough to see.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!