A few new additions to my collection...

Started by Tightlines667, October 04, 2015, 12:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Finally found a first year (ca. 1939) Squidder 140.  It has found a home next to my ca.1941-42 Surf masters  (200 & 201). 

Now to find a ca. 1940-42 Surfmasters 250, 150,&151 to complete the set :)

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Very nice, John! Very nice collection. I can only dream!

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteFinally found a first year (ca. 1939) Squidder 140.

Nice find John! What kind of stand is on the reel and what kind of markings are on the bottom of the stand?

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

That is the perfect stand, too bad about the notch; but, it is much more important in terms of correctness than terms of perfect condition or the better quality stand. That is a very hard stand to find and it categorizes the reel as a first year reel. Great find! Physically it is a 155 stand; but, I believe the markings make it a 1939 Squidder stand only. Mostly, this little piece of info gets past most sellers. 

broadway

Those are some beauties ya got there, John! I just picked up a first year squidder as well, they aint easy to find.
Your collection needs a bigger display cabinet or maybe a display room at the rate you've been going... sweet picking!
That notch may have been put in there for a bottle opener ;D
Thanks for showing
Dom

Maxed Out

Quote from: broadway
That notch may have been put in there for a bottle opener ;D
Thanks for showing
Dom
/quote]

Never thought of that Dom, but then I just use my teeth  ;D ;D

John, you are getting some dandys and I agree with Mike, those first year squidders are near impossible to find. At that time it could have been classified as a "rich mans" surf caster. $25 was a truckload of money in 1939 for such a small reel. It was Penns first attempt at a world class surf caster, and they nailed it, but made those who bought it pay dearly for the engineering that went into it. That same year (1939) you could buy a 9/0 senator for just $4 more than that little squidder.

P.S. John, that middle glass shelf looks like it's reached it's load capacity  :D :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Guess that was $27 (shipped) well spent!
;)
Hope springs eternal

broadway

John,
   I got robbed ;)... Mine was $40 shipped. Clearly ours didn't come on a properly listed auction, Nice👍
Well spent,
Dom

Tightlines667

Quote from: broadway on January 06, 2016, 10:30:28 PM
John,
  I got robbed ;)... Mine was $40 shipped. Clearly ours didn't come on a properly listed auction, Nice👍
Well spent,
Dom

:)

I'm sure that won't happen again to either one of our reels.

;)
Hope springs eternal

Maxed Out

Quote from: broadway on January 06, 2016, 10:30:28 PM
John,
Well spent,
Dom

I bet you're right Dom, the seller of Johns reel never mentioned the bottle opener bonus !!  :o :o

....and you got jipped cause yours didn't come with that factory option.  :D :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

How about a minty, possibly NOS, 9/0 with a Lighthouse box...

This reel has externally accessible drags, and a rosewood torpedo handle, with large coin-edgediscounts counterweight.

This is a different "grease" stamping then I have seen before.

A 4/0 Lighthouse box...

and an early LongBeach...

These are my first Lighthouse boxes, and along with the reeks, were aquired locally.  

The seller had indicated that the the 9/0 was still new, and in the origional box.  I didn't find any more information about the 4/0 box, and the LongBeach that I aquired from the same guy.  

Pretty stoked to have found these gems in Hawaii.

John
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Good for You John.
Definitely Gems you have there. That 9/0 is Shweeeeet!!! ;D
Life is Good!

cbar45

Nice! That 9/0 is quite a find, especially for Hawaii.