Problem with 114H bridge and sleeve assembly

Started by AlasKen, October 04, 2015, 07:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I got a Gen II sleeve from Alan and ran into problems with install.  I have upgrading an older model maroon side plate that allows the drag washers to be replaced from outside.  My issue is when installing the SS sleeve to the bridge.  The pin binds on the bridge and doesn't allow the sleeve to spin.  It is just barely off as I can put the pin punch through and it spins fine.  The pin is tight enough that when I spin it counter clockwise it pushes the pin out.  It is all I can do using fingers to move it.  When going clockwise it just gets tighter.  Thoughts on how to fix would be appreciated.  (edited to add photos  Ken

Rancanfish

I had the same problem with the Jigmaster version.

Take a file to the slot in the post where you think it's tight.  I shined a  light thru the hole from the back and with a magnifying glass I could see the problem. On mine, the top edge of the post slot. Didn't take much.  I used a small fine file.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

AlasKen

I want to thank those that replied.  One option was to file the post slightly on the top side with small file.  The other option was to sand the bottom of the sleeve slightly to lower it enough to fit.  It is close that it shouldn't take much to fix it.  Thanks to both for giving options.  Ken

Cone

There's another option. File or sand the pin flat on one side. Install the flat side toward the top of the slot where its binding.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

Good to see you Bob. ;D
I run into bridge problems like this all the time. It is usually the opposite though. Its too loose.
I'll play with a couple different ones until it feels right.
Life is Good!

alantani

i've had to grind a few pins down.  the alternative is to loosen up the tolerances so that one sleeve fits all.  it's tough, because every extra hole that is drilled jacks up the price. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cone

Good to see you too, Daron. Alan, I like the sleeves that way. I don't like a lot of in and out slop! You can skip the extra holes on mine, unless it makes it tighter. ;D
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Most times all custom parts will need a little fine tuning, I do it all the time. There are a few guys making part for us, tolerance isn't the same on all and it could never be. A little fine tuning here and there is not a bad thing, usually it's minor. Also, Penn reels do vary somewhat.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

twotone

Use the old sleeve pin . Sometimes it fits when the new one doesn't.  If the old pin is to loose or tight ,you have the other options.
twotone