Good Word about Penn

Started by mrbrklyn, October 07, 2015, 04:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

When I was on the West Coast in SD I was suprised that they carry almost no Penn products.  For a few years now I've settled on the Penn Fathom 15 for a bulk of my fishing and I have a few of them.  I brought one to LA to fish and cleaned up the sand dabbs in almost 180 FT of water, and I used the same reels to pull in a 42 inch Striper last week which was trying to haul #### out to the ocean on the far side of the boat :) 

One of the reels I picked on in Spring just stopped working.  The lever to put the reel in lock position failed.  I sent it and the braid to Penn repair and in less than a week they returned me a new reel with my old spool and braid in the box.  I was suprised to see the fast turn around.  there was no arguments... just excellent service.  And these fathoms have been great reels. 

I generally have 65 pound baid on it with a 25 pound shock leader in flouro carbon, unless I'm targeting something larger.  for the price, this reel outperforms, IMO, all the Shimanos I have excpect for a big striper run I use Alans Souped up Shimano Charter, using it with Mono.  Anyway,  I just wanted to post a good report instead of a compaint for a change ;)

Ruben 

tristan

Great to hear this feedback on a great company!

So in SD what were the reels in use by the locals?

johndtuttle

Quote from: tristan on October 10, 2015, 04:55:08 PM
Great to hear this feedback on a great company!

So in SD what were the reels in use by the locals?

In SD Penn lost some market share in the bad days and you will see a lot of Avet, accurate, Daiwa and Shimano but Penn is coming on strong.

Most debates about what is best right now are between Penn and Shimano in the shops and forums.

Bill B

Good to hear someone at Penn was thinking about their customer.....braid ain't cheap......as a left Coast fisherman Penn was always the go to for everybody including the cattle boats, but as previously stated Penn lost a lot of ground during the bad years.....but thankfully you just can't kill those Older Penns and I have been fishing them for many years.....for me and my dad it was Penns and Mitchell 300's....I will be passing a few along to my youngsters here soon too....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Quote from: TARFU on November 09, 2015, 02:02:52 AM
I will be passing a few along to my youngsters here soon too....
Hey Bill do you know something we don't know?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

basto

The thing I have noticed about all of the new PENNs coming out lately is they all have great drags. The versa drag is the best thing PENN has done in recent times in my humble opinion. In lever drags, it is the thrust bearing.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n