Jon knows Pelagics

Started by David Hall, October 08, 2015, 03:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

It is rare and it is slow, most boats fishing all day for one bite, me included but that's fine with me, I don't have any old memories about loading the boat with BFT to cloud my mind.  I will happily spend many days targeting these fish, while they ar here and if I end up having fished 5 days for one fish then so be it, but I will be there tomorrow anyway it's only my second day fishing for them and who knows how long they will stick around?

johndtuttle

Quote from: David Hall on October 15, 2015, 09:03:46 PM
It is rare and it is slow, most boats fishing all day for one bite, me included but that's fine with me, I don't have any old memories about loading the boat with BFT to cloud my mind.  I will happily spend many days targeting these fish, while they ar here and if I end up having fished 5 days for one fish then so be it, but I will be there tomorrow anyway it's only my second day fishing for them and who knows how long they will stick around?

Good on 'ya David!  ;)

David Hall

Thanks John, my tucks loaded up, bringing two cameras this trip!  just waiting for tomorrow morning to arrive.

BonitaBch

Bonita Beach, FL

David Hall

Another Mako shark caught and released.
Not giving up yet, they're still here!

David Hall

Got out again this past Saturday,
About 90 minutes in my downriggers rod goes off and line is flying off the reel, I picked it up and gradually ramped the drag up to near 20 lbs and the fish slowed but didn't stop.
This was on my TLD 50W, will fish frame and cal sheets blueprinted on an Okuma 130lb class rod running 150lb drain and 130 lb mono.
Back and forth for twenty minutes and I couldn't hold it anymore so I stuck the rod in a holder punched into compound low and started winching,  still back and forth, I'd get 20 yds he'd take 30 back, after thirty minutes I started gaining ground,  reeling as hard as I could the rod had a pretty good bend and I couldn't believe he was still trying to take line, not so much anymore and I was gaining,  I got all my braid back and started into the mono, I got 200 yds of the 300 back and I was sure the fish was played out so I ramped up on the drag to 25lbs and put everything I had into it, I got the fish within 100' of the boat and the line broke,  I nev r laid eyes on the fish, have no idea what it was but whatever it was it was big and it was a hell of a good time playing him.  n ver ever thought I'd play a fish on that rod and reel out of Moss Landing!  Wish I had at least seen it!

Rancanfish

Arrrrrrrgh! Don't ya hate that?

Bet the fight was a kick in the pants.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

To date it was the most exciting 30 minutes I ever had on rod and reel.

johndtuttle

Quote from: David Hall on November 09, 2015, 10:50:58 PM
Got out again this past Saturday,
About 90 minutes in my downriggers rod goes off and line is flying off the reel, I picked it up and gradually ramped the drag up to near 20 lbs and the fish slowed but didn't stop.
This was on my TLD 50W, will fish frame and cal sheets blueprinted on an Okuma 130lb class rod running 150lb drain and 130 lb mono.
Back and forth for twenty minutes and I couldn't hold it anymore so I stuck the rod in a holder punched into compound low and started winching,  still back and forth, I'd get 20 yds he'd take 30 back, after thirty minutes I started gaining ground,  reeling as hard as I could the rod had a pretty good bend and I couldn't believe he was still trying to take line, not so much anymore and I was gaining,  I got all my braid back and started into the mono, I got 200 yds of the 300 back and I was sure the fish was played out so I ramped up on the drag to 25lbs and put everything I had into it, I got the fish within 100' of the boat and the line broke,  I nev r laid eyes on the fish, have no idea what it was but whatever it was it was big and it was a hell of a good time playing him.  n ver ever thought I'd play a fish on that rod and reel out of Moss Landing!  Wish I had at least seen it!

Good times  ;).

Probably Blue Shark.

Shark Hunter

If it snapped 130lb mono. I'd say the Tax Man wore though it.
It sounds like a big shark to me.
Sharks put up a good fight until they realize the game is over.
Some cable or wire leader would have been in order here.
Glad you had the chance to feel its power.
Good Stuff David. ;)
Life is Good!

David Hall

I just read a post on coastside fishing. It seems that on Sunday there was a guy fishing in the same area I hooked up on Saturday.  He boated a 12' thresher shark estimatd to be around 300lbs.
I asked him to look for a new Owner 7/0 super Mutu ringed swivel hook!

Shark Hunter

Thresher Steaks are some of the best there is.
They use their tail to stun their prey.
I guess he used his to cut that 130lb.
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Jon Vadney on October 09, 2015, 04:34:13 AM

Jon I love this photo.  It takes on mysterious tones.  It looks like a mostly uninhabited coastline with a castle in the distance.  This is the only time I can say the Moss Landing power plant looks scenic.  My daughter used to live on a boat at Moss Landing.  PG&E used to pay her a monthly stipend to clean the soot off her boat.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

I still get that stipend 78.00/mo. Plus 388.00 twice a year to detail clean.  That soot will eat right into the gel coat if left on.

Dominick

Quote from: David Hall on November 11, 2015, 02:12:59 AM
I still get that stipend 78.00/mo. Plus 388.00 twice a year to detail clean.  That soot will eat right into the gel coat if left on.
Good for you David.  That is one way I don't mind PG&E spending money.  It frosts me every time I see an ad on TV touting what a great company they are with happy happy employees.  They spend millions on advertising with the money they charge for gas and electric.  It isn't like I have a choice.  There I said and you can't make me take it back.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.