New Daiwa Saltigas

Started by xaf, November 19, 2015, 04:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

Any one have any experience with the new Daiwa Saltiga SASD 10/15H? I just purchased one for jigging.  Does anything need to be done to it out of the box to protect it or make it perform better?  It has at least one "mag sealed" bearing.  is their anything special that needs to be done when taking the reel apart?  I'm not familiar with the mag sealed bearing and am somewhat hesitate to take it apart for fear of messing something up.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

johndtuttle

Quote from: xaf on November 19, 2015, 04:16:17 PM
Any one have any experience with the new Daiwa Saltiga SASD 10/15H? I just purchased one for jigging.  Does anything need to be done to it out of the box to protect it or make it perform better?  It has at least one "mag sealed" bearing.  is their anything special that needs to be done when taking the reel apart?  I'm not familiar with the mag sealed bearing and am somewhat hesitate to take it apart for fear of messing something up.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

A mag-sealed bearing is very different from the mag sealing done of the main shaft in a spinning reel for example. The "mag juice" is inside the bearing as far as I know so no special needs removing the bearing to get to other bits, you just can't service that bearing yourself.

I most certainly would open the reel and well lube all the parts as Daiwas are notoriously dry from the factory and a number of mag sealed reels have come to grief because the owners thought there was nothing to do and they were impervious to saltwater. Not remotely true.

Worst case you have to send it in to them, which you were going to have to do anyways if you can't work on it yourself.

xaf

Thanks, I plan on opening it up myself and making sure everything is well lubed.  I just wasn't sure how the "mag sealed" bearings should be treated.

johndtuttle

Quote from: xaf on November 20, 2015, 05:14:41 AM
Thanks, I plan on opening it up myself and making sure everything is well lubed.  I just wasn't sure how the "mag sealed" bearings should be treated.

There is nothing you can do for them. Under the shields is the mag goo and only Daiwa can service them (more likely simply replaces them at $$$ to you).