Penn Warfare Series - anyone use one yet?

Started by tristan, October 11, 2015, 05:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tristan

Penn has a new line of conventional reels out, the Warfare.    They include both levelwind and non-level wind models, as well as line counters.    Supposedly brass gears, ht-100 drags,  aluminum spools and graphite frames.

Has anyone gotten hold of one of these, especially the non-level wind models, and given it a work out or tear-down yet?

Thanks,

Tristan

handi2

They are just a newer style Penn GT or GTI reel it looks to me. Graphite frames and SS rings. A very good basic reel at a good price.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

hurt locker

Finally got a look at the Warfare schematics. Double dogs and an anti reverse bearing plus it uses the same scalloped Ht-100's like the Fathom and Squall, only it uses 2 plates instead of 3. Have a 20N ordered and will get a look inside soon. I like the 5/1 gear  ratio plus 34" per turn, Going to use it drifting Lake Erie for Channel Cats.

higgy

I have used these, and I own 4.  I have 2 war15lwlclh and 2 war20lwlclh.

My dad and my son spent several hot days on the Hanford reach and boated many fish with the 15's.  We landed 10 steelhead (all wild and returned) 2 5.5 foot sturgeons and 6 15 to 25 pound Chinooks over a 2 day period.  The 15's have a great drag (ht100) and are smooth.  The reels had no problem stopping all of these fish.  When fishing barb-less we set the drags lower and crank constantly to keep the lines tight to keep from throwing the hooks.  The ht100 are great for this purpose, very smooth, vary good startup.

I like these reels.
"The act of fishing – for fish, dreams or whatever magic is available – is enough. It transports us to a special world, and a state of mind, where we are free."
― Fennel Hudson, A Meaningful Life - Fennel's Journal - No. 1

Ron Jones

A TOPLESS 320GTI? I am so in! 400 yards of 50 braid is perfect.I will be taking one of these to Cedros in 2018 for certain. You hear that Alan, you are going to Cedros in 2018!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

I am happy to be the guinea pig on this one. I'm expecting one under the tree and will fish the pee out of it and then take it on deployment. I bet I can be the first to fish this thing on 3 continents.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

Quote from: noyb72 on November 21, 2015, 06:31:46 AM
A TOPLESS 320GTI? I am so in! 400 yards of 50 braid is perfect.I will be taking one of these to Cedros in 2018 for certain. You hear that Alan, you are going to Cedros in 2018!
Ron
From what I've seen the level winds are not topless. I think it looks like a cheaper Squall.

Ron Jones

You mean levelwind? Biggest issue I had with the GTI was the levelwind. Never have understood the concept. 500,000,000 people can't be wrong but definatly not for me.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

RowdyW

Ron, you said it was like a topless 320 gti which is a levelwind (level wind,levelwind, half a dozen of one & six of the other). If you are comparing the Warfare to a 320 gti, you are comparing levelwinds. The Warfare topless is not a levelwind. The topless Warfare is just a conventional star drag. Like I said it's a cheaper version of a Squall which is a cheaper version of a Fathom.

Ron Jones

I understand what you are saying. I guess I just look at other factors in reels. They are both inexpensive graphite framed star drag reels made by Penn. They have a similar number of bearings and similar capacity. I follow Alan's tutorial on my GTs and that means that they are no longer level winds. Cortez Conversions once mentioned that he was contemplating a toples GTI frame (I'm still hoping!) and that seemed like the perfect reel for me. The Warfare 20 seems to fit the bill nicely.

Of course, the Warfare can't get the SS gear sleeve that the 320 can and it has a brass pinion (I haven't seem many if any of those) so we'll see. Like I said, Guinea pig.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

tristan

Got to handle a couple models real quick today at the local Basspro, but didn't have enough time to really check them out.

I'll likely decide between the Warfare, the Fathom or the Squall, or go old-school and use my points on a Senator 4/0 or 6/0.

Not apples-to-apples, but they each have their own appeal...   

RowdyW

I've got 2 Squall reels. A LD40 & a LD60. They are every bit equal or better then my TLD 20 & 25 and they don't need any expensive upgrades.

basto

Quote from: RowdyW on November 24, 2015, 12:20:36 AM
I've got 2 Squall reels. A LD40 & a LD60. They are every bit equal or better then my TLD 20 & 25 and they don't need any expensive upgrades.
I think the lever drag Squalls are a better mousetrap than the TLDs because of their thrust bearings in the right plate, but the TLDs have been around for about 30 years now.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

ez2cdave

Islandgypsy

Should be a good choice for the upcoming fall salmon season on the lower Columbia River..aptly named for the zoo at Bouy 10.  ::)