115 upgrades

Started by BMITCH, October 13, 2015, 03:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

I'm needing whatever upgrades are currently available for the 115 senator. I've come into two of these with the older external drag type. My problem is that the drag is not enough. I don't just want to change the washers out for the same configuration that is in there now. I'm needing MORE drag. I think all the mods that three sevens are gone already so is there anything I can do to improve my drag numbers. Time is really an important factor due to a couple more offshore trips planned in the coming weeks....HELP!!

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Bob,
The stock drag stack. (not the asbestos) should give you 20 lbs easy.
You can bump that up to about 28 with a seven stack from Bryan.
Eric caught this one on a 9/0 that was bone stock on the inside.
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Daron, exactly the info I was looking for. Just got back from an overnighter and there were some true monsters out there. The one that actually found the gaff was 235#. A few were just too much for the tackle at hand. I'm sure you will see bills report. He got his bucket wish fish. 80# sword. I had an XXL verity on with the use of bills 80 international. That was the right setup. Think it may have been a sword. Leader broke about two inches down from the swivel. Very strange!! At the hook up this fish was headed for Cuba with 28# of drag on him. Right setup just bad luck...one of those things.
  I'm gonna get the handle arm from Adam and the stack from Bryan if he has them in stock. Time is tight to get these parts in and the reel rebuilt before my next trip.
  Thanks for the info

Bob

RowdyW

Bob, get in touch with 3 sevens he is having more drags cut. He will be able to tell you when they will be available. His adapter & drags will get over 50# of drag & I believe that is the best setup.

Shark Hunter

I agree with Rudy. The Hex Drag is the best setup. I wouldn't run them without one of Tom's frames and at least steel gears. Black Pearl conventional being optimum. JMO
Have you looked in the reels to see exactly what you have?
Since you are on such a time window. I would at least make sure you have fresh 5 stacks in there.
Locked down should yield 25 lbs. Mo has these on the cheap and might be your best option to get a fresh stack in there fast.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Yes I agree with 3-7's set up is the way to go. As for cracking them open....not yet. Tonight there WILL be parts ordered. As Daron said...at the very least a new set of cfs from Scott's and possibly a a new handle arm from 3-7's. That brings up another really good question. Anyone using the offset handle arm for the 115..? Looks nice

BMITCH

Ok guys...one of the advantages of working from home is that you have access to all your fishing stuff during the work day. Down side is you gotta make money😉 So with that said I tore into this 115 and here's what I got... The drag is the three fiber/asbestos type thick washers. The main gear is steel and the gear sleeve is the brass type. The gear sleeve looks good for my next trip but I sure would like to replace that with a SS type. The dog is brass type and the outer most spacer/sealer washer is a configuration of a washer and felt washer inside??? Make sense??? So in a short window of time what do you folks think I should replace?? The flat washers and the under gear washer is toast. So these would need to be replaced. Scotts is like a day or two delivery to me were in the same state.

Shark Hunter

That would explain you loss of drag. I would just slap a new five stack in there and some Cal's. Just use a hard fiber for the under gear for now. I can make you up some Delrin ones.
I think just with the new stack and under gear, you should be ready even with the stock handle.
Down the road, SS Sleeve, double ss dogs, new handle, insert and frame. ;)
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/4-115.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Thanks for the link Daron. I'll let ya know how I make out.
Bob

RowdyW

Bob, I have both of those handles on a couple of my 115's. The offset handle is 4 inches C to C & the Sal's type is 3 1/2 inches C to C. Either one will give you more turning power then the stock handle. The Versa style adapter & Versa drags is the way to go later. Also get an aluminum half frame from Tom Hryniuk @ Cortez__Conversions before they are all gone again. Going for the SS parts is a good idea in the long run but as Daron said the stock parts will get you by for now as long as they are in good condition.

Three se7ens

Ill have about a dozen of the 114H/115 insert kits available in another 10-14 days, and I have a plenty of handles in stock. 

On a 115, the drag is still silky smooth well past 30 lbs with my insert kit.  I havent tested any higher, but Sal measured 70 lbs max here.

BMITCH

Thanks Rudy and Adam! Rudy, I'm placing the order tonight at Scott's for the drag washers. Adam this will get through the next trip. I would like a set of the drags as soon as they are available. My next trip is scheduled for not this weekend but next. So at least I'll have a new drag stack from Scott's in there until your set up is available. No terrible rush, but please put me on the list for a set. I'm gonna also order a couple of the offset handles. My buddy Scott also just picked up a 115H2. Thanks guys...

Bob