’Deutsche Angelgeräte Manufaktur’ -- D.A.M. Quick Reels

Started by foakes, October 13, 2015, 07:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

For those of you who love quality fishing reels, and a little history:

From my friend Roland, in Denmark --

D.A.M. COMPANY HISTORY

The initials D.A.M. stand for 'Deutsche Angelgeräte Manufaktur' (i.e 'German Fishing Tackle Manufacturer'). The D.A.M. company was founded in 1902 by Fritz Ziegenspeck, who in 1887 became owner of the ironmongery, sport and fishing-tackle business which had been started by his older brother Oscar Ziegenspeck in Berlin in 1875.

In 1925 Otto Kuntze became the new owner of D.A.M. His son Hellmuth Kuntze led the new beginning and the re-building of D.A.M. in the post-war years. In the face of political and economic difficulties, the D.A.M. company was re-established in the West part of Berlin (with the postal code SW 68). On November 11th 1955 the opening of a new modern factory in Berlin Gunzenhausen was celebrated.

For obvious reasons the trade name 'DAM' was changed to 'Quick' in the UK and the USA (slightly confusing because although all Quick reels are D.A.M. reels, not all D.A.M. reels are Quick reels).

After the D.A.M. company was sold in 1995 to the Dutch trading house Koninklijke Borsumij Wehry B.V. - which was taken over shortly afterwards by Hagemeyer N.V. (another Dutch firm group) - a turbulent and unpleasant period of time started for the company.

After another change of owner early 2001 the company was chased into insolvency already in the middle of 2001. But only one year later a group of long time employees, together with some export customers, were successful in forming the company in a new way and started the 'Neue D.A.M. International' from September 2002 on.

A good friend of mine on this forum asked for a Tiny DAM Quick Microlite Reel -- for 4 LB. line.

This is what I am restoring and setting up for him -- a tiny Quick 110 Microlite.

Along with a 330 sized old Finessa from 1955 -- that has never been on a rod.

Both reels required a complete cleaning to get all of the old brown grease from the factory out -- that had turned to beeswax.

For those of you who may appreciate overbuilt quality, impressive materials, engineered tolerances that do not lose adjustment after 50 years, engineering by fishermen, and simplicity -- the 110 is in my opinion -- the strongest, and best engineered of the Quick Microlites.  Much stronger than the 110N or the earlier 265 Microlite -- which are also very good reels.

Aircraft grade aluminum, Phosphor cut bronze main, over-size ball bearing, tungsten line guide, light and bullet-proof.

As an example -- Look at the 8 holes on the backside of the main bronze gear -- this is what gives the clicking action when retrieving your line -- and is also one of the most effective Anti-Reverse systems ever produced.  The A/R is between the steel handle shaft & the drivetrain -- not out on the rotating head where it could be stressed or tweaked.

When this reel goes back together -- it will work flawlessly for another 50 years -- if just serviced on a regular basis.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

fsrmn

I LOVE the one you built for me  ;D For a tiny reel it is built like a tank and really packs a punch :o The 110 for freshwater and my 420ss for salt are my favorite and most used reels.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Shark Hunter

I received two reels today. They are way beyond my expectations.
Bulletproof spinners. ;D
110 and 330 Finessa.
Thank You Fred. You are a class act my friend. ;)

Life is Good!

mike1010