Another New Guy

Started by weather_man, October 13, 2015, 11:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I just magnified and realized exactly what reels you have; a VERY nice haul for that price. LOTS of upgrades for the 114, anything you can think of; the 309 is a workhorse level wind that has drag upgrades available, and the 330 has basically a 4/0 drive train; pretty strong. You can cover a good variety of trolling and bottom fishing scenarios with what you got there.

weather_man

Quote from: thorhammer on October 26, 2015, 06:45:00 PM
As I recall, i just noted on 7500 thread you'd get another cheap reel and be hunting two rods not one....I was wrong, sort of :)

This is what happens (just a small part of it):

Nah. no way I'll ever get that addicted. Man those are awesome though. If anything, I just need a couple of long surf rods and that's it.

weather_man

Quote from: thorhammer on October 26, 2015, 06:52:48 PM
I just magnified and realized exactly what reels you have; a VERY nice haul for that price. LOTS of upgrades for the 114, anything you can think of; the 309 is a workhorse level wind that has drag upgrades available, and the 330 has basically a 4/0 drive train; pretty strong. You can cover a good variety of trolling and bottom fishing scenarios with what you got there.

Yes, I was very pleased with this deal.

I don't think I will ever need the 114h unless of course my wife gets me a sizable boat as my retirement gift in two years.

Any way I could set up the 330GTi for surf fishing? Thanks for the input.

thorhammer

It's a bit large for long casting but if you lube it up properly and spool with 20-25 test with a shock leader, you could lob out a bait fifty yards or so, maybe more. I think you're looking at 11' foot rod and probably 6 oz lead to move that big spool. Looks like the levelwind is removed which will help. I'll try one this evening and report back. That said, the ulua guys in Hawaii throw 4/0's on 14' rods very well. If you're kayaking a bait out any of those reels will work.

Nice drum, BTW!!!!!

weather_man

Quote from: thorhammer on October 26, 2015, 07:43:47 PM
It's a bit large for long casting but if you lube it up properly and spool with 20-25 test with a shock leader, you could lob out a bait fifty yards or so, maybe more. I think you're looking at 11' foot rod and probably 6 oz lead to move that big spool. Looks like the levelwind is removed which will help. I'll try one this evening and report back. That said, the ulua guys in Hawaii throw 4/0's on 14' rods very well. If you're kayaking a bait out any of those reels will work.

Nice drum, BTW!!!!!

Thanks man. Lately I have been fishing the shoreline with my sons. Here in MS I don't really have to cast that much. We've been wading out and casting at some holes then setting up on the beach. All these reels are good for this, but I am planning to take a trip to Pensacola in a week or two and wanted to do some surf casting. My 7500 will be good for this, just need a proper surf rod for it.

My sons hooked onto this red last Saturday. I was very proud of them.

Newell Nut

Quote from: weather_man on October 26, 2015, 07:02:26 PM
As I recall, i just noted on 7500 thread you'd get another cheap reel and be hunting two rods not one....I was wrong, sort of :)

Nah. no way I'll ever get that addicted. Man those are awesome though. If anything, I just need a couple of long surf rods and that's it.

I was just searching the net for an extra set of bearings for a Newell 540 3.2 one day a few years ago and now I have a closet full of Newells. Started building rods and now they are all over the house. ;)

Tightlines667

Quote from: Newell Nut on October 26, 2015, 08:56:40 PM
Quote from: weather_man on October 26, 2015, 07:02:26 PM

I was just searching the net for an extra set of bearings for a Newell 540 3.2 one day a few years ago and now I have a closet full of Newells. Started building rods and now they are all over the house. ;)

Lol  :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

As Dwight notes, I needed to fix a broken tip one time...and started building rods and now they're all over the place lol.  Who can pass up a $10 St Croix missing one guide? I have yard saler projects to keep me busy a couple years if I don't buy another rod or reel. Like that's gonna happen.

thorhammer

A bit dark by the time I got home, but I pulled a 330 I got used a few months ago and put it on an old glas Drumstick, 11' MH. Not the best rod in the world but it was handy. I had not been in the reel yet whatsoever so I'm guessing any lubricants were original, I only juiced the levelwind. It had old 30 lb Worldwide Sportsman camo line on it, not the best casting stufff, actually like a slinky from being on a while. I surprisingly got 60 yards or so with 8oz lead without really getting on it too much. I need to service the reel in any case so with that I'll take the time to try it again with fresh line and 12' graphite rod; based on the way the reel felt I fully expect another 25 yards or so. This is doable; my recco is that if you intend to fish this seriously in the surf, get a 12' graphite comp rod as the thinner diameter will give you more hand control on the reel. The Drumstick had EVA grips and a 24 reel seat which is a bit of a handful to get on top of the 330 spool.

weather_man

Quote from: thorhammer on October 27, 2015, 01:18:44 PM
A bit dark by the time I got home, but I pulled a 330 I got used a few months ago and put it on an old glas Drumstick, 11' MH. Not the best rod in the world but it was handy. I had not been in the reel yet whatsoever so I'm guessing any lubricants were original, I only juiced the levelwind. It had old 30 lb Worldwide Sportsman camo line on it, not the best casting stufff, actually like a slinky from being on a while. I surprisingly got 60 yards or so with 8oz lead without really getting on it too much. I need to service the reel in any case so with that I'll take the time to try it again with fresh line and 12' graphite rod; based on the way the reel felt I fully expect another 25 yards or so. This is doable; my recco is that if you intend to fish this seriously in the surf, get a 12' graphite comp rod as the thinner diameter will give you more hand control on the reel. The Drumstick had EVA grips and a 24 reel seat which is a bit of a handful to get on top of the 330 spool.

thorhammer, you da man! Looks like there is definitely hope there. I fully understand that there are many better reels for this purpose, but this one is already in my stable and I like getting the most out of what I have.

I have a question about forum etiquette; if I want to talk about my 330, do I jump into another 330 thread or start a whole new one? I was looking at the 330 yesterday (haven't opened it) but I can already tell it will need some work.

thorhammer

weather_man

Ok so I was taking a closer look at the reels I got last weekend and I was trying to figure out what exactly I'm working with but I'm not sure. The 114h doesn't seem to be stock. It has a frame made out of what seems to be aluminum (not sure) with a reddish/burgundy color. Then I noticed that my 330gti has a handle that matches the 114h frame. I guess I have Frankenreels. Any help identifying the 114h would be appreciated. Thanks. Oh and it looks like the handle retainer on the 330 is stripped.

Shark Hunter

The 114H frame looks factory Penn. The side plates look different colors. One has been replaced at some point. Probably the darker one. It looks like it has been used well.
Life is Good!

weather_man

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 28, 2015, 01:46:36 AM
The 114H frame looks factory Penn. The side plates look different colors. One has been replaced at some point. Probably the darker one. It looks like it has been used well.

You see, that's why yall get paid the big bucks.

Shark Hunter

No big bucks being passed out here. I have to go to work for that. ;D
That 114H is a workhorse. I would open it up and check out the inside. Make sure the drags are good and apply fresh grease to the cleaned parts. You would be surprised what you can reel in. ;)
Life is Good!