okuma reels

Started by 1barberg, January 16, 2011, 02:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1barberg

what is your take on okuma reels. worth it or not. conventional & spinning

alantani

they made a quantum leap in quality.  i have the makaira 10 II and the cedros spinner 65 and 80.  both excellent reels.  the price is competive as well. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JGB

Hi,
I have been following Okuma since it entered the lever drag market many years ago. Okuma has come from a manufacturer of cheap disposable reels to a leading innovator in technology and reliability. Okuma has integrated the expertise of industry leaders and innovators such a Cal Sheets and Tiburon as well as taking serious note on input from Alan Tani and myself and those that fish the Eastern side of the country.

At this point the Makiara, Cedros and up coming Andros are state of the art and are designed and made from the best materials in use today. You still have to take care of them and they will deliver a level of performance and reliability that is designed in to make the most from today's super lines.

I am a user of the new gear and my go to for 50# to 100# YF is the Makiara 10II with 35- 40# short tops shots spooled with 400 yards of 50# Spiderwire Ultracast - lots of bites and no breakoffs - just don't cross your lines.
For my extra light I use a Diawa Saltist 20 II rigged with 30# main (really is 45# line). I will be trying out the Andros in place of this reel this year and have high expectations.

BTW the new stuff is pricey but worth it. compare the drag specs and the corrosion proofing to the competitors and you will see they are beginning to follow suit. Competition is great for the avid consumer.
Jim N. 

wallacewt