Roller guides

Started by BMITCH, October 14, 2015, 04:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

What do you folks use..if anything...on the roller guides as far as lubrication. Any suggestions?? I've completely disassembled and cleaned them. Now just want to put them all back together and not sure if they need grease or oil.

Thnx
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

I use reel X oil on mine Bob.
Life is Good!

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Tiddlerbasher

TSI321 - Reel X/Corrosion X

theswimmer

I don't think a roller guide needs free spool type speed so I use the Yamaha blue for longevity.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

otownjoe

Aftco recommends  a thin coat of waterproof grease on the outside of the bearing.oil can gum up and hinder performance.

josa1

I use the Yamaha Marine grease too.  Works great!

Good that you cleaned the roller mechanism.  I've found a few of them totally bound up.  Even a few with paint from the factory when they were more than 10 years old

josa1

Steve-O

I have since sold all my roller guide rods and gone spiral wrapped...but did use the blue grease on mine and kept them out of the sand. Mine came from the factory plus overseas shipping with brown gunky grease that must have been the cheapest stuff available. Seemed already gummed and dry when I bought them.

good luck with yours.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: BMITCH on October 14, 2015, 04:40:38 PM
What do you folks use..if anything...on the roller guides as far as lubrication. Any suggestions?? I've completely disassembled and cleaned them. Now just want to put them all back together and not sure if they need grease or oil.

Thnx
Bob

How will you use the rod? Fishing live bait in freespool, trolling or trying to get the most out of a cast? Also there are a few different types of roller guides such as Aftco's LWRG's which use a titanium bearing and no lube is recommended, just a flush out with freshwater after fishing saltwater.

I have two rods with the LWRG's and only rinse them out after fishing, and one rod with the more standard (metal frame type) where I use a thin lube on. In the past it was Corrosion X and now 321. In my mind if there is a chance sand can get into the guides a grease will hold it in the them more than a thin oil when washing them out.