Saltiga Clutch Lever Corrosion Issue and Solution

Started by The Kid, October 14, 2015, 09:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Kid

For guys who use the older star drag Daiwa Saltigas. I was having several issues with the clutch lever becoming ceased where it drops into the right side plate. The unprotected metal of the lever was contacting the metal on the right side plate. When corrosion occurred, the dissimilar metals would form a bimetallic couple and cease. Yes... even with a good corrosion preventative grease. I have had this happen to me twice on my Saltiga 30.

To avoid this reoccurring, I thought of a way to add the plastic collar found on the Saltist line to keep the metals from contacting. I expanded the hole where the clutch lever enters the side plate using a 5/16 drill bit (perfect fit). I used a standard cordless drill to bore the hole keep the open side of the side plate flat against a wood surface. With some metal boring lubricant you can open the hole to allow for the addition of a clutch lever collar (part number G60-5201) found in the Saltist line. This will prevent further ceasing and loss of one this expensive and discontinued reel's side plate! Just make sure to press lightly and use a lot of lubricant when expanding the hole.

Hope this prevents an issue for you.

johndtuttle