Penn Ocean Side--the Model 80--RARE IN ANY CONDITION

Started by Penn Chronology, October 16, 2015, 06:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Here is a reel that every Penn collector wants to add to his or her collection.

It will bring very high prices that are fairly difficult to predict. As our new poster, Mr. Oceanreels will tell anyone, the price is determined by how motivated the buyer is and how receptive to that motivation the seller is. Finding this reel could take a buyer one day or ten years or never. The amount of them that are in existence today can be counted on one hand

I have touched two of them in my life and only the one I am picturing here was correct. The other one I have touched, I actually was allowed to look it over. Its first owner mailed it to me. I disassembled it, photoed it and returned it. Years later it was bought by a friend of mine who had it shipped to my house so I could forward it to him in the Land of OZ. That reel was an Ocean Side, but, not a correct one. it was a prototype, maybe.

Now, the one I am picturing in this thread is super-rare. It is not mint by any stretch of the imagination. It has been used. It was filthy when I got it, a true barn find. It is a Model 80, Ocean Side. it is not a prototype or an experimental or a trade reel. It is just an Ocean Side made somewhere between 1934 and 1937. I believe this is the way the reel came out of the factory, even though the head plate is a very dark brown and the tail plate is black.

The internals are as they should be, German Silver.

In my opinion, the inside is better looking than the outside.

Funny thing about this reel is, I have seen more odd Ocean Side models than normal Ocean Side models. The Ocean Side is basically one of Penn's failures. It was a expensive, quick take apart, trimmed in chrome rings models that was basically a knuckle buster. No anti-reverse and no drags. It did not sell well and disappeared quickly. That's what makes it rare.
          It took me many years to get one for myself. I have been offered very fair money to sell it; but, I cannot part with it. I have about a dozen rare reels in my collection. Common sense tells me I should sell them at the highest price when I get the chance; but, I guess if I had common sense, I would not be a collector in the first place.

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

Shark Hunter

Mike,
You are a true inspiration to all of us. Yourself, Ray, Ted and Brian are the true Penn Pioneer collectors and I for one am glad to have you guys here. ;D
I am a Penn Lover through and through.
Quality that stands no test of time. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broadway

Okay, I'm going barn hopping this weekend. Wow, nice find Mike!
Daron, I totally agree!
Thanks for sharing,
Dom

Oceanreels

Mike
  Very nice reel.  You are killing me. :'( That is the only production reel that Penn made from 1932 to 1937 that I don't have one of. You're right, use common sense and sell me those reels, I'm an Insane motivated  buyer. ;D Don't make a grown man beg.  :(
    All kidding aside, they are VERY hard to find, congratulations.
Here are a couple of variations of the Ocean Side but not marked so. Both reels are correct with the exception of the take down screw on the one marked Coronado.
    When the first reel was made they had the wrong plug so it is marked Coronado, not Ocean Side.

This reel is an Ocean Side that was made for Tryon Hardware so it has the Kingfisher logo.

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Penn Chronology

Well Brian, your two odd Ocean Side models added to the one other odd Ocean Side that lives in OZ add up to three odd ones found. Now there are also three normal ones we know of. So, this day in the year of Our Lord 2015, we know of six Ocean Side models that have been found. Could there be more out there, I would think there must be. We cannot have found them all. :o

Oceanreels

Could the  Man from OZ  post a photo? Would make a nice group of the 4 different types of Ocean Side configured reels. Looks like I'm going to have a hard time getting a stock ( normal ) one. :'(

Superhook

This ODDBALL reel started as an early 1934 model . It has the extra screws in the Head plate that was only seen in 4-5 early 1934 Coronado reels and this Oceanside . At some time it was altered to what you see. It can be corrected by changing the handle, spool , tail plate and head plate internals .

1937 was the last year of the Oceanside and to see what it looked like .... and not to cause Brian any pain  but it will show there is at least another original reel in existence and should be here with the last of the clan.

Oceanreels

VERY nice reels Ray. Not to cause me any pain, you're killing me. :'( :'( Someday  I'll get one.

Penn Chronology

Ray,

That Ocean Side you pictured is not one of Eric's, so now I feel that is number four of the normal reels. Making my total informal count at seven Ocean Sides in existence instead of six. Please tell me if I am wrong.

Superhook

Penn Chronology

coastal_dan

Only because reading these old posts is extremely informal, it seems you can add a #8 to the list seeing as one sold a couple weeks ago on the big auction site.  Fun times recently watching the auctions...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteOnly because reading these old posts is extremely informal, it seems you can add a #8 to the list seeing as one sold a couple weeks ago on the big auction site.  Fun times recently watching the auctions...

We were aware of that reel; but, we are also in mourning about it because it went to a stranger. Our own member tried really hard to win that reel; but, lost it by $25. In the last few minutes it went from $600 to $1825. Those are serious dollars for a Penn knuckle buster.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 29, 2016, 07:57:52 PM
QuoteOnly because reading these old posts is extremely informal, it seems you can add a #8 to the list seeing as one sold a couple weeks ago on the big auction site.  Fun times recently watching the auctions...

We were aware of that reel; but, we are also in mourning about it because it went to a stranger. Our own member tried really hard to win that reel; but, lost it by $25. In the last few minutes it went from $600 to $1825. Those are serious dollars for a Penn knuckle buster.

Very Serious
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.