1933 Penn Coronado prototype

Started by Penn Chronology, October 17, 2015, 12:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Here is another rare one. It is a 1934 Penn Coronado prototype made from a 1933 Long Beach.

The first look at this reel will bring confusion into the equation. We are looking at a Kuhn--Jacob 1933 Penn Long Beach 3 screw head plate. The exceptions are it has four cross bars, a missing top bar and a quick take down screw on the head plate. Obviously, Otto Henze has been busy chopping up a perfectly good 1933 Long Beach.

This is one of those reels that was never supposed to leave the factory. As far as I know, it is a One-Off.

It does have the Kuhn--Jacob, Circle K marking on the inside of the plate, like all 1932 Model F and K reels have and most 1933 reels have.

But, it breaks down like a Coronado.

Internally it is made up with big, brass parts, just like a Long Beach. If it were a true Coronado, these internals would be German Silver.

These are the freaks that make the hobby fun for me.

Penn Chronology

OK< OK My post is only up for ten minutes and I have already been refuted. It seems this reel is not a one-off. There is one other in existence. So now this reel is a TWO-OFF.

I just cannot help it. I am getting old and I forget these things.

I know I am not as old as some people; but, I really do not care. I am going to use that as an excuse no matter what anyone says................. :-\ :-\ :-\

Marcq

Love that stuff, always interesting  8)

Marc..

Tightlines667

Cool reel.

These early transitional prototype reels are facinating, and historically significant.  They help to tell the tale of how new models and features were conceived and tested before refinement of a model destined for larger production runs. 

Thanks for sharing!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Oceanreels

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/