FISHING OUT OF CABO SAN LUCAS 10/16/2015 more photos 10/17/15

Started by Dominick, October 18, 2015, 05:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Hi everyone.  I thought I'd do a fast post on our fishing down in Los Cabos.  10/16/2015. I fished with Larry Haynes who I met over the internet on BD Outdoors.  Larry is fishing the Bisbee LCO and he invited me to fish with him the day before the tournament.  Larry had a water temp page that showed cooler water out the Pacific side of Cabo San Lucas.  The boat Larry charted is the El Nuevo owned by Redrum Sport Fishing.  We went out to the area around Jaime Banks.  The water was very mixed and we could not move around in the boat without holding on to something.  It seemed that the entire armada of fishing boats had the same idea.  We trolled the area and Larry hooked and landed a small tuna around 15lbs.  At one point we spotted some big Tuna feeding and creating a big feeding boil.  Bam I got a hookup and it was a very big Tuna.  After fighting it for about a half hour (The Tank held its own) the fish threw the hook.  I got the rod again on another big Tuna.  The fish hit on one of the boat's rod which had a Shimano reel on it ( I did not take note of the model).  I had to fight that fish from the chair it was so strong.  The day was an extremely hot 90 degree day.  The heat was sapping my strength but I brought the fish to color when a shark hit the tuna and started to take line again.  I upped the drag and got the fish to color again when the shark bit off the line.  Here are a couple of photos without fish.  I'll post some photos of the fish we caught the next day on the 17th later in this post.

More to come.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Wow cant beat fishing like that.  Something else I have never done.............yet.

Tightlines667

Looks like a blast!

That is one of the better fishing holes out there, and it looks to me like you are out with a real 'class act' operation.

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Sounds like you're doing great, can't wait for the full report.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Steve-O

Way to go, Dominck!  Looking forward to more.

josa1

Great report an pictures Dominick.  I love that part of the world. So much life on the ocean there, lots of excitement.  You never know what's gonna hit next!

Sharks can be a problem at times for sure.

josa1

thorhammer

Newell Nut

Living the dream there Dominick. Keep pumping those arms up.

RowdyW

Dominick, just don't try to adjust the left bearing cap.  ;D ;D

Dominick

As promised here is the next days report.  I just got the photos from Adam's camera.  I picked up Dave Babcock at his hotel at 6:00 a.m.  He was up and raring to fish.  We left the dock at 6:45 bought bait from the bait boats and traveled northeast out of San Jose del Cabo toward East Cape.  Fished an area called inner Punta Gorda.  No Luck.  We chummed with squid chunks for about a half hour then moved further out toward inner Gordo Banks.  More chumming and produced one Bonita which we used to chum some more.  It was very hot and humid (unusual for this time of year).  Dave hooked into a very nice Tuna about 45lbs and he brought it to gaff expediently.  Good job Dave.
Here we are starting out.  I'm eating an energy bar and Dave is showing his butt. You can see the humidity on the lens.

I'm trying to learn the mate Lalo's knots.

Here I am holding my Penn 320LD hoping for a hit.  I managed a hook-up and lost it after about a minute.

Trigger fish No. 1.  Locals call them Chopo.

Meet Adam, a Canadian I met at the hotel who always wanted to fish down here so I invited him along.  He had a blast.

Here is Adam with the second trigger.

Here is Dave and I with Dave using his Cortez Conversion reel.

Lupe our Capitano.

Adam having a ball.  Calm water in the background made for a pleasant day.

Here is Dave having a blast.

Here's Dave with his rod gone bendo.

Dave with the best Tuna of the day.  It doesn't look it in this photo but it was 40lbs.

Better shot of the fish.

Dave

Back at the cutting tables.

Filleting and cutting the blood out.  Look at that sashimi.

Here are a couple of shots of land's end at sunset.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

Really decent sized Triggers. Plenty of other boats around, too. Beautiful Tunas. Encore!

conchydong

El Pescador

Dominick,

Please ask Dave about his Clarkbait fighting belt.  LOVE the metal receiver and the wide padded belt.

Much better concept than the Braid Product belt I use in Cabo.

Travel safe.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on October 19, 2015, 08:39:28 PM
Dominick,

Please ask Dave about his Clarkbait fighting belt.  LOVE the metal receiver and the wide padded belt.

Much better concept than the Braid Product belt I use in Cabo.

Travel safe.

Wayne
I used one on Friday.  I have to say I like them a lot.  Dominick