FRAME FLEX?

Started by LTM, October 18, 2015, 05:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Read an article regarding frame flex with the earlier C3 round Ultra Cast reels with the black frames when using braid with "excessive" test strength (ie pound test of line). What would be the maximum pound test to "safely" use on these older models so frame flex does not occur?

Leo

whalebreath

Back when I used them  downrigging for Spring Salmon I never went above 20#-too light for downrigging really unless you're lucky & careful but staying @ that level meant flex was never an issue.

SoCalAngler

You can use whatever lb line you want but what really matters is where you set your drag pressure. The frame should only flex if your drags are set higher than the manufactures rating but many ratings are set lower so the problems of frame flex, shredding gears, blowing out bearings and such won't happen. But, some are set right at that point and should not be exceeded.

LTM

Thanx for the comments gents,

Mark I always use the 1/3 or 1/4 of line test rule to set my drags thats why I just stated pound test of line. After reading the article I thought of what I was told by some old-times about 30 yrs ago (FYI I was about 10 yrs old then :: ) that they would spool these reels up with 30# line for some "specific" application of fishing. I thought this was quite much for these 5000-6000 size reels. Thats why I asked the question after reading the article on frame flexing. So what is safe operating amount of drag for these reels?

Leo

Bryan Young

I would say the drags should not exceed 5# irrespective of the braid strength you use.

I tweeked my favoriate 6500C3 with 7# of drag and stripped my gears.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 20, 2015, 05:45:13 PM
I would say the drags should not exceed 5# irrespective of the braid strength you use.

Thanx Bryan that is just the info I was looking for. Sorry you tweaked your frame.

Leo

Bryan Young

Quote from: LTM on October 21, 2015, 01:30:16 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on October 20, 2015, 05:45:13 PM

Thanx Bryan that is just the info I was looking for. Sorry you tweaked your frame.

Leo
I was getting impatient and wanted to get the fish up faster.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D